Problem with HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arroryn, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have a Dell GX320 and its hard drive has just gone up the swanny. I need a bit of help!

It's an 80GB hard drive on an XP Pro machine, fully patched and updated (until it went *splat* last week).

It has 1 x FAT partition containing Dell diagnostic utils, and 3 x NTFS partitions, as part of our standard build.

The PC wouldn't boot at all; it couldn't detect a SATA drive. I switched SATA cables. The PC went to the XP splash screen, but wouldn't go in to Windows; instead, it went back to POST, and decided it couldn't see the hard drive again.

Tried in a different PC; same thing.

I booted it with a remote recover disk. It's showing as 80GB of unallocated space, so the NTFS partitions have completely disappeared. I have an option to 'initialise' the disc, but I don't know if this will wipe it. As I want to try to do data recovery on it, I don't really want to press that button quite yet.

So, the help I need from you guys, is to recover the data - keeping in mind that as far as I can see, the HDD has no recognisable file format, so I don't know if master/slave configuration will work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Does your remote recovery boot disk recognize NTFS? Sounds like it might not. I'd recommend slaving it to an NTFS-capable box to see what you can see on it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

It does; I left out a smidge of detail, methinks.

I'm not completely sure how it's linked, I will be honest.

I booted the Dell that's iffy using the remote recover disk; we have a machine that's on the network. It's sole purpose is to monitor servers, and notice when this remote console is activated.

When I opened up the remote recover console, it recongised the 8.4GB NTFS volume of the machine it's installed on; it couldn't see the file format of the HDD I'm trying to recover.

Using that as an example, it should be able to pick up NTFS volumes without an issue.

4. BosonMichael

Depends... it's possible that your recovery disk may not see the partition if it's a dynamic disk partition... just a thought. I'd still recommend slaving it up and see what you can see.

This is another instance where one of those USB-to-disk adapters comes in insanely handy.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Arroryn

I started raising a purchase order for one later on today, after I had woken up from banging my head against the desk.
    I think I'll shove it under my manager's nose and get one from Maplins. Maybe it will act better as a 'removable storage device' as opposed to a master/slave configuration.

And all this to avoid calling the Dell Delhi help(less)line. Ah well :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help, BM. Much appreciated. Here. Have a pat on the back. *pats*

6. BosonMichael

Stop that... I'm a married man! :oops:

Glad to be of assistance.

7. Arroryn

Just to let you know, we sent it back to Dell :oops:

8. BosonMichael

Did you manage to recover any of the data?

9. Arroryn

My line manager said not to attempt to; after speaking to the owner of said hard drive, it wasn't deemed 'cost effective' to pursue recovery. Instead, we're ensuring it will never be accessed again.

10. BosonMichael

Sledgehammer? High-powered electro-magnet? Steamroller? :twisted:

11. Arroryn

Locked cupboard? :rolleyes: lol

12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Saw this a bit late I fear. When a disk goes mad, it helps sometime to lay it on ice for a few hours. Just wrap it in a towel, put the package in a plastic bag and lay it in the freezer for a night.
    Most of the time you might be able to see it long enough to recover the data and make a backup.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  13. BosonMichael

My methods seem much more satisfying. :build

I don't there will be a lot of cheering and high-fiving going on when you shut that cupboard door.
    (Shut that door! Shut that door! Shut that door! WOOHOOOOOO! ALL RIGHT!!!! :cheers :alc :rocks :clap :yep )

14. Arroryn

LMAO! What, Chariots of Fire stylie first? Slow-mo door shut, combined with a slow-mo gasp of horror as I realise I'm shutting someone's hand in the door?

You're unreal BM :p

15. BosonMichael

...your own. :ohmy YOW!!!

I'll take that as a compliment. 8)

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Arro,

Next time you need to recover data, give Spinrite a try. It has recovered two drives for me.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT