Problem with acer mobo, please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danmurph, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Everyone,

I rescently got bought a PC with vista on it but as i am doing certs in microsoft this is no good to me.
    I managed to get the ting dual booting but ive got a few problems in XP.
    The graphics and sound are not working properly so i went to the acer website but they only have mobo drivers for vista, the motherboard is an mrs600m and the model of the maCHINE IS ACER Aspire-T671
    Can anyone help me,

Thanks allot

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

:oops:

Bad spelling mistakes im very tired, i meant to say thing instead of 'ting' and im doing certs in microsoft XP not vista

Sorry

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

That motherboard has an ATI Radeon Express 1250 graphics card built in so you should be able to download the XP drivers from ATI.

As to the sound, I am not sure. If you can't pull the model number out of Device Manager or System Properties you may be up a creek there as Acer doesn't even say what the device is other than it's onboard sound. That lack of information doesn't allow anyone to figure out what drivers it might take. You also might see if you can manually install the Vista sound drivers and get them to work inside XP.

Other than doing the above, you have only one other option I can see. Try to physically identify the sound chipset on the board by reading the manufacturer and part numbers off it and then Google those numbers to see what the sound card is. Then you can search for XP drivers with Google.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This sounds like the classic "chipset drivers not installed" problem.

I'd start with identifying the chipset used and get those drivers.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having looked up the motherboard I see that the chipset and video are one set. So that would be my first download.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Companies are now releasing PC's and laptop's with drivers (chipsets and otherwise) for Vista only (I have a acer laptop that only has vista drivers no XP ones).

If the PC only uses Vista, why don't you then download and use Virtual PC 2007 as it's free? And install XP on that.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help I have got the graphics working spledidly so thank you!!

With regards to the audio, i found this in the South onchip in the BIOS
    -Ati Azalia audio,

Does this help, where do I go from here?

Thanks people

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As said go to the ATI website and select the relevent driver from the list and download that and install it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?