Problem Resolved

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 16, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The issue of my pc randomly rebooting and getting BSOD has been resolved.

After trying to work out wether it was my memory, my PSU or some other hardware failure the only conclusion I could come up with that it was an OS issue.

I reinstalled XP and all other drivers etc but the problem came back so I formatted the hard drive and deleted the partition and then created a new partition and installed everything again.

Now my PC works playing games with no reboots and BSODS the only cause I can put down to my problem was the malware I got when I first had my PC must have corrupted some display files that didnt get overwritten when I re-installed the OS and NVdia drivers.

The funny thing is I have been on all the web sites I had been on when I got the virus, running the same firewall the only difference is when I went on those sites forst I was using Internet explorer after I got the virus and killed it I decided to use firefox.

So does this not prove the vunrebility of Internet Explorer?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Anecdotal evidence as proof? No more or no less so than if I used Firefox and got a piece of malware... would I then be able to tout the "vulnerability of Firefox"? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee

What else could it be?

I have been on the same sites used the same links etc

Thats the only conclusion I could come come up with, if you have any other ideas let me know it would be much appreciated.

Svhost.exe I think is the file that has caused the problems and the display driver was NV4.dll.

I recently read that NV4.dll used to cause a lot of problems when XP was first released but it was supposed to have been resloved back in 2004 so I think the malware some how re-raised this issue.

If you have any ideas let me know

4. BosonMichael

I didn't say that you didn't get the malware through IE. You likely did. But saying that your individual, isolated incident "proves the vulnerability of Internet Explorer" is just as silly as me getting malware while using Firefox and saying "Aha! That proves the vulnerability of Firefox!"

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee

Yeah I understand what you mean, maybe I should have phrased it as does this not show that there are vunrebilty issues that should be addressed with IE.

My understanding of it is that Firefox is a lot more stable and has less holes in it than IE

I am not aware (correct me if I am wrong) of add ons like adblocker and nosript for IE like there is for firefox.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

After you format your PC are you installing all the latest security patches for XP? I had to rebuild a PC last week and I used a XP CD with SP2 included. After that Windows Update pulled down 90 odd patches so I had to leave it downloading overnight.

Are you doing this after each rebuilt of your PC as this may be causing the problem as IE and the OS may not be patched up.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. greenbrucelee

Yes I did do that as soon as I had re-installed windows I got 77 updates then another 14 after about half an hour. I had it set on automatic updates.

It didnt take all night for me though.

8. Sparky

Actually I think I used Microsoft update so it pulled some updates for Office 2003 as well. If you used MS update that should be fine though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

There are shite loads for Office that takes a long time, I will have to go through that later today as Office is the only prog I havent reinstalled.

10. Sparky

Yeah, remember there is SP2 for Office 2003 so that should save you some time.

11. BosonMichael

Sure, there are vulnerability issues that should be addressed with IE, just as there are vulnerability issues that should be addressed with Firefox. But that's amazingly obvious, like saying that water is wet. The same is true for vulnerabilities in Windows and Linux... both have them, but one is exploited a lot more because it is used a lot more.

I don't know if there are add ons for IE regarding scripting... but they're not necessary, considering you can just turn off scripting. 8)