Problem for to install test software

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by davidoxford, Sep 23, 2008.

1. davidoxford

davidoxford New Member

Hi,

I have a big problem for to install the test software some book ICND1 of Wendell Odom.
    Here is the error:
    Error 1609: An error occured while applying security settings.User is not a valid user or group.
    This could be a problem with the package , or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the
    network.Check your network connection and click Retry,or C....

My connect network that I use, is a mobile Broadband (USB Modem that I put on my Laptop)
    Could you help me,Please

In advance, thank you very much…..
    Best regards,
    David

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think we need some aditional info - XP or Vista? Version? Domain or Workgroup?

Perhaps it is trying to install as Administrator and that has been removed?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. davidoxford

davidoxford New Member

Hi Harry,

sorry for my late and my english........
    I use XP Pro Pack 3, I am in a domain and I am Administrator of my Laptop.
    I use the domain when I am at my work but in my home I use my USB modem.
    I hope that I answer at yours questions.
    Thank you for all
    Take Care
    David

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It sounds as though your laptop has some restrictions in place.

When you initially log on to your laptop at the Ctrl Alt Del screen what does the lowest dropdown box say?

If you're restricted for new installations on your locally stored domain login it might not let you install said software.

Best way to do it is to log on as a local administrator to attempt to install the software.

Go to Ctrl Alt Del logon screen.

Choose the (this computer) option

Enter Administrator as a user

Enter the local administrator's password

Attempt to install the software.

Let us know :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My workplace has come up with a variation on the above method (which was my previous standard way of doing it).

They seem to have set the permissions on my laptop such that my normal domain login gives me admin rights on the local machine. So I don't need to log in as a local Admin to install stuff.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. davidoxford

davidoxford New Member

Hi all,

I have found yesterday on the website Bosonthe the solution.

How do I fix error 1609?

Create a new user called CREATOR OWNER (See below)
    Create a new group called Users (See below)

These first two steps can be accomplished by the following steps:

Click on “Start”, then click “Run”
    Type cmd in the white “Open” box area, then hit enter to start the command interpreter interface and type:
    net localgroup Users /add
    net user "CREATOR OWNER" /add

3. Click "retry" on the dialog box to allow the installation to continue, or restart the installation if it has been canceled ...............................................................

*Note that the created user and group do not need any permissions applied to them. The installer applies permissions correctly using the SID for the CREATOR OWNER user and Users group; it is only the check for the existence of the groups, which uses the name. Once the installer is completed, the user and group can be removed if desired.

Thank you very much for yours replies

See you soon

david