Pro Jakarta Tomcat 5

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Apr 8, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I figured I would put this here since Tomcat is most often used with Apache running on a Linux machine.

I aquired Pro Jakarta Tomcat 5 a month or so ago. I had purchased, and was reading, Tomcat: The Definitive Guide and was not really coming to understand how Tomcat is configured. As the web server I was working on had been deliberately tampered with it was imperative that I understand exactly how it should be configured and I just wasn't getting it quickly enough through this book.

I ordered Pro Jakarta Tomcat 5 and this book has made all the difference in the world. It is aimed directly at admins who understand at least what Tomcat is and does. If you know at least that much about Tomcat this book will show you all you really need to know to troubleshoot and configure a Tomcat server. The author gets to the point and stays on it all the way through the book.

I can't recommend this book highly enough for anyone who administers a Tomcat server.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice find Freddy.

Not my thing (only just trying to get to grips with Linux), but I'm sure that it will be usefull to those that run it.

Just out of interest, does anyone on here run it? :blink

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for the heads up Freddy. I had never even heard of Tomcat before now :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yes. I do.... :p

This is one of those specialty things. Much of the time anyone running Java web applications on Apache will also be runnning Tomcat.

It's possible to run Tomcat as a standalone web server, but Apache is so much faster at static content that most organizations will use it to serve up the main site and integrate Tomcat with Apache to serve up the Java content and sometimes the PHP stuff too.

I'd heard of it before I got my job, but that's about all. Another technology that will be used along with Tomcat is Jakarta Struts. I don't really understand it very well yet as it's more of a developers tool than an admin's tool, but the way I understand it, it's a framework for using Java.

Another technology I'd never heard of before is Apache Axis. It's involved with Java and web applications too. This web applications stuff seems to be kind of a world of it's own. There's an entire subset of technology that seem to be used only for it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1