private ip question

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hey mate i'm back and trying new questions as separate threads

think that i have installed emule on my pc but i need to make port forwarding and when
    i do this , my private address will be seen . In this situation if someone gather my private
    address , can he do something with it?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes, if someone can see your ip address then they can access it and send malicious software to damage your files/computer

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i am idiot as hell but how?

private addresses will be same all around the world and i think the situation it is known by outside
    will not do anything !

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Install any P2P software and it is a security risk. You are trusting the makers of the P2P software to make sure it is secure and does not have any vulnerabilities.

Also you are downloading files from unknown sources, is this wise?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i say this :

for example they learned that my private ip is 10.0.0.2 , how can they do something?
    cause with this , they can't reach the public ip of the device that connects me to the internet(such as dsl modem) ?

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If they learned your private IP address then they will know your public IP.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if I knew your private ip, I would also know the public one I could then start to use your pc to steal your private details or I could put a virus on. It wouldn't be hard to do if I knew your ip address.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on what you've got protecting your network. Packet spoofing isn't terribly difficult.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

dude... dont worry bout it...

if your into networking and routing (like your previous threads), and dont know the answer to your question as simple as this is, you'll get hacked with or without p2p software installed.... ...its just a matter of time

10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Simple answer: how does the webserver of Microsoft know where to send the page to you are asking for.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You realise of course, that Port Forwarding doesnt really work like that.

From what I know, and correct me if im wrong here guys, but with most (General ADSL) routers these days, they perform NAT to protect your internal network, so your machine (10.0.0.2) sends information to the internet. Your router re-forwards that onto the internet, but uses the public IP that your ISP has provided to you (ie 192.168.2.5 - although its usually longer than that it seems, but that will do as an example for now). When information is sent back to the router, it translates it into the appropriate private IP and sends it into the internal network.

Port forwarding on the router, tells the router that any incoming packets on the specified port should be forwarded onto the listed IP address.

External people wont actually get your internal IP using port forwarding, that not how it works.

That said, they can easily get your Public IP, since its needed for any communication to be sent back to you. Once they have the public IP, they can try all sorts of attacks to breach your network. Ultimately, you either have methods in place to try and protect against this, or you dont surf the web.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Of course, but if I can get out, there is a connection and other can use that to get in. Man in the middle attacks are just one example of this.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is spot on! :biggrin

In fact NAT generaly is a fairly good 'firewall' in itself. The problem comes when you 'open a window', which is what port forwarding effectively is. You need to be very sure that the server sitting by that window is good and robust.

In my experience the worst cases of trojans and spyware that I see at the fairs are because someone has installed a P2P system on the machine.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Slightly off topic, but i attended some training back last year where the trainer commented that NAT actually broke the rules of Internet design, is not a security feature and causes other *problems*

Simon (running away :D)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I remember that - I also remember answering....

(Could be hard to find that far back)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ha! I think it was at CF meet no.2 :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... what he said.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!