Printing issue: Calibri font

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Good Morning,

Is anyone good with print servers?

We had an issue a week or so ago whereby our print servers were updated via windows updates. The fonts were changed and, following this 5 users couldn't print documents properly (Seen in both Excel and Word). Some letters are missing when you go to print but only when using the default calibri font. All letters are present via print preview.

To fix this one of my colleagues ran something against the individual users registry.

We also received another update to the servers since and no other cases have been reported (so we think the second update fixed an underling issue).

4 users are now fine, but one user, who also had the registry fix still has the problem. She is no different to any of the other users as far as I can see - has a roaming profile and a set up that's exactly the same, but it's like something has been picked up with her profile (the issue happens when she logs into any machine she has access to).

Does anyone know the classic things to look out for within the users profile that might point me in the right direction?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The "some letters missing" points towards customised settings on the printer, though I've admittedly only ever seen this on watermarks (and it's a setting to do with transparency). If it's only affecting one user... how are they printing? Are they definitely connected to the printer via the server, or is it a local TCP/IP mapped printer? How are they accessing Word / Excel? What version of office are they on? And have you tried a different printer driver (eg the HP UPD instead of the model-specific driver).

Also: hello! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Recreate the user profile - no? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...It's starting to crop up through several users today :(

It's via two different print servers and various printers...

..and, hello both! :) Long time no speak!! Hope all is good...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

In summary: I believe this to be an issue with XP clients and a Calibri update in March 2013 (which newer versions of OS can cope with).

In detail (just in case this saves some head scratching - I'm not sure if there is also something about our environment which makes it particularly sensitive, or if it's just not been spotted in the wider community yet?!!)

Anyway, this started to crop up with several users today.

The registry fix mentioned above was a script that just, basically went into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Printers and removed all printer entries for here, with the idea that re-adding them would sort out whatever the issue was.

This fix did appear to work for some users last week, but, one user from last week still had the issue and when I tried it on various users today no joy!

Some reports were that pdf documents were an issue too.

I managed to re-create the issue by printing a section of an Excel spread sheet that someone had had issues with from my local machine. I handed the spread sheet to various users who didn't appear to have the issue, but then most (though not all) of them did get the issue when they tried printing the spread sheet.

Curiously, if a user then went into printer properties for the spread sheet the option for the paper was set to some weird property (which is why I wonder if we have another issue to look at that made our environment sensitive to the update). When set back to plain the document then printed with no faults. However, with the PDF documents they were set to default and had the issue whatever you tried to change the paper to. When re-opening the spread sheet it had set back to the weird property.

Our print servers are win 2k8 R2.

A user with Windows 7 had no issues with the corrupt document I had created. (Everyone else I had tried were on XP - yup we still have some XP machines). The user with Windows 7 was a colleague who had tried replacing the font on the print servers last week and replacing it didn't work (so we had decided it wouldn't be this causing the issue).

However, after the above happened I decided to re-investigate fonts by comparing my OS against those on the Server and, sure enough, replacing my XP version of Calibri on a back-up server (from / to C:\Windows\Fonts) and a reboot enabled me to print fine.

I need to do some more testing but am pretty much sure that it is the new march 13 update for Calibri that has upset our XP clients and, maybe Microsoft already know and have released a new Windows update which is slowly filtering through out XP (or newer OS) clients...

6. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks. Yes this is one of the top articles that came up when searching and it did help in the end but, because my colleague had advised they'd already installed the font and it hadn't worked (I imagine they'd used a version from Windows 7) we'd dismissed it at first.