Printer problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by steve_p1981, Dec 30, 2010.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I have a problem with my set up at work with the printers. We had 4 stand alone machines untill i joined, then i decided to network the pc's but as we don't have a server or the room to connect the 3 printers to one pc and use that as a print server, i've kept them as they are and shared them on the network.
    The problem i have is that only one of the pc's is a vista machine. My problem is that if i get the vista machine to print to another printer using a pc with XP on it. the print spooler on the XP machine crashes. I thought this might be a driver that needs updating but it will print a test page from the vista machine so i'm confused.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Which of the PCs is acting as the server?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

the xp machine is acting as the server on this particular printer. all the other machines (running xp) have no problem pritning with this printer it's only the vista one that causes the spooler lock up but if you tell the printer to print a test page via the properties using the vista machine, it prints that fine.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It could be a driver issue as Vista uses different drivers to XP. However as you only have 4 PC's running in a workgroup, why not buy one of these? Ok, you'll have to install the printer on each of the 4 machines, but that ain't that hard to do and presto not more errors :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^ or downgrade the vista machine to xp or upgrade to windows 7.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

it's not a massivey important issue, it just bugs me. I don't think the boss will go for it as we are currently doing a massive refit and is being understandably tight. It's confused me because as i said it will print the test page. Is there a reason it will do a test page fine from the vista machine but not a text document. The drivers i installed on the machines are the newest available as the old ones didn't work either. I did initially blame it on the fact that it was a vista machine but then again could it be that xp can not understand vista instructions?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

In my experience, if it prints a test page, then the drivers are ok.

The Vista machine should be speaking the same language as the XP machines ie PCL5e, PCL6 or whatever.

as it is the 'spooler' that is crashing, i wonder if the XP print server has enough RAM to cope with the print job?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i would hope so all i done was create a text doc that said test on it and it couldn't cope. It works fine with all other documents from all the other XP PCs it's litterally just the vista one so i don't think it's memory related. should i try gettign it to bypass the spooler and print the old fashioned way just to see if it can cope then?

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Worth a try mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs