printer problem over the network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Wassup, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

this has got me somewhat baffled, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The scenario - one office, 4 computers all in the same domain, one printer attached locally to one of the PCs. All of them can print, but - one of the machines won't print yellow! It comes out pink.

Its an excel spreadsheet with colours used to distinguish days off/lieu days/overtime/etc and if printed from the locally attached printer/PC it is OK but when printing is sent from one of the other machines it seems to reverse RGB.

At first I thought it was a dirty printhead, so I cleaned it, then replaced the ink, removed all drivers from all 4 machines and rebooted then reinstalled, still to no avail.

All machines have the same default settings, same colour profile and only one(!) of the machines that network to the HP deskjet 4260 is printing pink!

I am well confused by this one and hate to admit defeat, anyone have any ideas?

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

What is the operating system of this particular computer that's having the problems printer clearly?

I have found in similar situations that the full system software driver when installed on the particular problematic computer usually resolves the issue. Also check the printer manufacturer web site for a patch if applicable. Cheerio and lets know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

try the driver for the printer in the dodgy machine but is the colour settings not supposed to be CMYK,

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. nex0r

nex0r Bit Poster

1st do a windows test print from the 'dodgy' pc. If that prints in pink then it's a driver issue. If not then it's an application issue. It won't be a printer issue as the other PC's print fine.

I take it that the printer is not a network device and that's why it's shared from a pc host.

If it's a driver issue, remove the printer from the dodgy pc, share it from another pc and re-install. Then test again.

Certifications: A+ 601 602, 70-282
    WIP: N+
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

Windows 2000 Pro

I have removed and then reinstalled the full software package from HP and there is no patches available.

all colour profiles are the same on all 4 machines, I said RGB (monitors), my bad, but RGB/CMYK they are all still the same on each

The test print is (seemingly) proving it to be a driver issue, as yellow comes out pink
    No the printer is not a network, just a USB connection to another W2K machine shared within the domain.
    I have removed the driver from the offending PC, reinstalled it and then tested again.

baffling, eh?

I'm going back out there on Monday with my fix-it-all toolkit which consists of a 5lb lump hammer, a chisel and a roll of double-sided sticky back plastic.