Problem Printer on Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BB88, Nov 28, 2011.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hi, we have an OKI-C711 mapped via group policy when a user is logged on to map the printer and set it as the default printer.

I had to change the driver from PCL6 back to PCL5 due to some software incompatibilities, but some computers are still mapping to the old driver.

Is there any easy fix for this?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

This depends on how you have your group policy set up, as well as which OS you have on your clients.

You'll need to check how point and print restrictions are set, as well as your package point and print settings.

Obviously if you've created a separate policy for the new driver deployment and forgotten to delete the old one then this is where your problem lies. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BB88

Qs, thanks for the reply.

The clients are all Windows 7 Professional based.

The script is in the Default Domain Policy >> User Configuration >> Windows Settings >> Scripts (Logon/Logoff) >> Logon and is just a basic WScript.

Code:
    Option Explicit
    Dim objNetwork

On Error Resume Next

Set objPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\MORPHEUS\OKI-C711"
    objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\MORPHEUS\OKI-C711"

WScript.Quit

4. Qs

Presumably all your Win 7 clients are x86 too right? If not, I assume you've remembered to change the driver for x64 on advanced driver properties on the shared printer on the server? Otherwise some clients will be pulling down the wrong version.

Strange as to why you're not deploying your printers via group policy and using scipts instead (is there a reason for this?)

As I said before, your point and print settings will be affecting this if they're not set correctly via group policy.

Have a read through of these links:-

Link 1
    Link 2

Hope this helps mate.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
    BB88 likes this.
  5. BB88

Yes they are all x86 clients, so no issues there.

Not particularly, I just find it easier to manage.

Managed to find the Print and Point settings and have followed the guide so thanks for that link.

I managed to find the old driver in Printer Services (I think) under Administrative Tools, and had to restart the spool server before I was able to delete the old one, as it was complaining it was in use.

Thanks for all your help.

6. Qs

Glad it's sorted.

Qs