PRINCE2 Certification - Self Study

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by PhilipDew, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PhilipDew

PhilipDew Banned

Hello,

I am planning to do my PRINCE2 certification course next month. Due to my work, I will not be able to attend a 5 days classroom course. I am now looking at the online study as an alternative. But few of my friends told me that PRINCE2 is bit difficult to understand on your own. So now I am confused. Any suggestions guys?

Cheers
    Phil

2. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I've had Prince2 on my to do list for a while - the cost of exams if you go the self study route is crazy (£220 for Foundation and £410 for Practitioner)

For around the same money you could go on a five day course if you book at short notice.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  3. PhilipDew

PhilipDew Banned

Thanks BrizoH, Could you suggest me any good training oraganization in London? I have spoken to ILX but there prices are bit high.

4. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Last time I looked into it one of the guys on here used spoce.co.uk - I haven't used them myself though. If you do go ahead please let us know how you get on

5. jonathan_lyod

jonathan_lyod Banned

Isn't spoce a reseller? Isn't it a better idea to contact the original company directly?

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree...self study just doesn't make sense given the open exam prices. Even I was thinking of studying on my own, but the fees simply put me off. For the same price you can get the practitioner course from guys like projstudy and KA

6. PhilipDew

PhilipDew Banned

Hi Jonathan,

What is the problem in buying a course from reseller?

7. jonathan_lyod

jonathan_lyod Banned

Well you don't want any misunderstanding later on with the actual provider....plus, you might get a better rate if you deal directly with the actual provider

8. jonathan_lyod

jonathan_lyod Banned

One of my friends has done a course with Projstudy and I think they are really good in terms of course content and facilities. Besides they have a online course where you can study on your own and give the exam when you feel like. I am looking forward to do a course with them.

9. PhilipDew

PhilipDew Banned

Thanks a lot guys , Your have been really helpful . I Shall definitely have a look at projstudy's offerings and decide .

cheers
    Phil

10. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Just had a look at Projstudy's site - the price looks good, around £560 for the 5 day practioner course - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used them?

11. jonathan_lyod

jonathan_lyod Banned

My take after talking to my friend - they are focused on growing and this is just aggressive pricing...though they do explain why their prices are low on the homepage. He actually liked the class and didn't feel they cut any corners. I also noticed they seem to be the only ones with an APMG validated pass rate....nobody else seems to do so.

12. PhilipDew

PhilipDew Banned

I have decided to go with PROJstudy as they have a very good course structure spread over 5 days. Besides their pre course material also looks good. Overall, it would be a good value for money. The best thing is that the classes are held in the CBD, quite convenient for me. Looking forward to my classes with PROJstudy.

13. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Is it just me or does this thread have a bit of a funny feel to it???

Not sure I would trust this PROJstudy based on this thread alone without knowing others who have actually done the courses.

jonathan mentions a friend has done a course with this company and believes it is good, then on another thread just 2 days later he is saying he did a course with the same company! Seems suspicious to me!

Other thread - http://www.certforums.com/forums/se...ture-library-foundation-worth-doing-tech.html

Not saying it is, but just reads a bit that way. No offence intended to anyone.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  14. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I'd tend to agree with you - the pricing is the best I've seen but I still wouldn't shell out over £500 of my own cash without a genuine recommendation

15. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

No, definitely not, just did a couple of quick Whois searches too.

These are apparently a part of an edusys company based out of Bangalore in India. Which is registered under a yahoo e-mail address. Also doesn;t fill me with confidence.

I would be very wary of this company from what I can see online etc.

16. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

17. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Unless you have PRINCE2 experience I wouldn't do the PRINCE2 without doing an instructor lead course as I thought the exam was a lot harder than I thought. I'm 100% certain I would of failed doing self study.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  18. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Very interesting - apparently a PhilipDew posted on another site on the 20th saying he had already took the course with projstudy. The same day he posted here asking for advice...:hhhmmm

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

At least I know I can cross Projstudy off my list when I do get round to this

19. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yep, avoid them! Thought it seemed fishy! lol.

Hopefully anyone coming across this thread at least now will know better than to make any payments to this company etc.

20. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Both PhilipDew and jonathan_lyod are posting from IP addresses based in India. Shill's the pair of them, well spotted guys.

We should leave this thread so others can see what a bad name these underhanded tactics give a company.

Hopefully we can get back to topic and you get an answer to your question.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    Coupe2T likes this.