Prince2 2009 self study / evenings

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by regularguy007, Feb 3, 2010.

1. regularguy007

regularguy007 New Member

Hi all

Did my Prince2 Foundation back in 2006, helped me a lot with finding a change in career - now am keen to get into the 2009 certification to keep up.

I can't however afford the training that seems to be close to 1k! Also, it requires me to take 5 days off which I can't at the moment.

Has anyone done self study / evening classes (London based) and if so, what were your experiences?

My aim is to finish both foundation and practitioner

Thanks

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Prince2 is Prince2, a bit like A+ is A+.

Having an 'up to date' version doesn't really matter.
    If you've got Prince2 Foundation, by all means go on to get Practitioner.

Other than that, Prince2 2006 and Prince2 2009 Foundations pretty much count as the same thing.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. jaydean

jaydean Bit Poster

I think most companies would be pleased with PRINCE2 any version, you dont need the lastest version, the concepts are the major thing. In many companies they customise PRINCE2 anyway, so does it matter?

I wouldn't spend a fortune recertifying, if you really want to you can Selfstudy from a number of online websites for less than £20

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You can only do the Foundation exam by self study. For Practitioner you have to attend a course

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. jaydean

jaydean Bit Poster

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Given that the practitioner exams are nearly £400, with the added expense of attending one of the open centres, travel, accomodation etc, it may well be worth considering the cost of a course.

Typically, you can do foundation and practitioner in 4/5 days for £1,500.

From my personal experience, when we were shown the practice papers for the practitioner exams, we all flipped out.

The day spent going through practice exams was well worth while, even for someone like me that has had their fill of certification exams.

7. jaydean

jaydean Bit Poster

Practitioner Re-Registration Cost £145,

The re-registration exam is online, see link below:
    http://www.apmg-exams.com/P2RELOTEstart.asp

After booking the exam you have 3 months to take the exam. The exam is not Prometric/VUE but a regular web browsing session that you can do at home.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Good info guys. I would like to do Prince2, clearly foundations followed by the other. What would be the recommendations? Should I do the Foundations side of things via self study then do the next one via a course. I think this is good approach for me. Just looking to see what others have to say.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'm hoping to do the Prince2 myself before the end of the year or at the start of 2011

Speaking to others who have done it, the majority of people have recommended doing a course, as the books and the concepts without the tuition can be quite mind boggling (so I've been told), and it will also take a lot longer whereas with the course you can be done in five days.

Looking at prices, I've seen the courses being advertsied for £935 inc VAT, but if you can convince your company to pay for it (and you pay them back, should they insist) it should be VAT exempt, so the whole lot for roughly about £795.

saying that though, I was always under the impression that once you were a Practitioner, that was it, no need to update or resit.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

If you are a practitioner you have to recertify every 5 years.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Never knew that, cheers:thumbleft

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You need to re-certify every 3-5 years if you want to remain on the register of practitioners but you don't 'lose' your certification if you don't. You just can't call yourself a 'registered practitioner'.

Dunno if I can be bothered...

13. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Ooops, didn't know that mate, in that case I can't be arsed either!

14. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Any recommended books available to complete the Prince2 Foundation material prior to doing the exam?

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  15. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster