Prevent User from appearing in Global address list

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Stoney, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

One for the Exchange monkeys!!

I have a couple of test user accounts in AD that also have email address's assigned to them. How do I stop the test users appearing in the Global address list in Outlook?

I'm not sure if this is possible, although I have been able to remove disabled user accounts from the Global address list in the past using Mailbox rights and the Self user account. Is this is a similar solution?

Cheers,

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

as far is know there was a check box in the user profile that could hide a user from exchange address lists, not sure if it applied to the GAL or not as i've never really had need to use it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

yeps

Open up AD "Lusers & Confusers", ensuring that you enable 'Advanced Features' on the view menu. Under User Properties, go to 'Exchange Advanced' and check the 'Hide from Exchange Address Lists' option.

Robert's your Father's Brother...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Cheers guys,

I have found that little check box and checkerised it. Just waiting for Exchange/Outlook to update and remove the users from the GAL.

Thanks again :biggrin

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You can manually update Outlook's copy of the GAL to save yourself some time. I think, by default, the GAL is set to update at around 4 o'clock in the morning (although i could be wrong, its yonks since I supported Exchange on a regular basis).

To force a GAL update locally, open Outlook, go to Tools, Send/Receive. UNCHECK the box next to 'Download changes since last Send/Receive' and select the radio button marked 'Full Details'. In the bottom box in the window, make sure '\Global Address List' is selected, then click 'OK'. he laest copy of the GAL will be downloaded for you.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em