Prevent IE 8 from automatically downloading on Windows servers

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Obinna Osobalu, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

While keeping systems up to date is important, there are plenty of valid reasons not to upgrade IE 8 on Windows server systems.

HERE

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably one of the most obvious things to test before installing on a server.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

dont you guys test updates on a restricted or virtual environment before live deployment?

4. Sparky

Sometimes the servers can be managed by WSUS and updates can be approved automatically which can mean some untested updates being rolled out before any testing is done.

Not good. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

what happens if untested updates mess causes havoc? how do you sort that out?

6. Sparky

Run away! :biggrin

I have only seen this happen once when a patch broke a Sharepoint server and I was able to fix the problem myself, something to do with the SQL database if I remember correctly.

If its rolled out to the PCs then you can uninstall the patch in some cases.

7. Mr.Cheeks

Ouch!