Presentation

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arj7, Jun 7, 2010.

1. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Hi Guys
    Ive been invited to an interview and have to perform a presentation.
    It has to be 15 minutes long and should cover a “successful project or task, which had an impact on others and where you were accountable for the result".

I have no idea what to do it on, any ideas would be appreciated.

2. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Is there any context there?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  3. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

I think it can be on anything, I was thinking of doing it on my project as that is something that was solely responsible for, but im not sure about the impact on others, however it was theoretical but it would have impacted others.

I just need some ideas.
    thanks

4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

So vague.

It clearly asks you to talk about a project that you created and how it impacted others? What more do you want?

I would start with what was the requirement of the project. Why was it needed? What was its purpose? Have an overview of it. Then I would go through the life cycle of the project from start to finish. e.g. Intro, Requirements, Design, Construction, Validation (like how you tested it), Implementation and project review, conclusion etc - was it a success? How did that project get used by others? Did it fulfill its purpose etc.

Then again what I wrote might be a load of BS - good luck ; )

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What they will be looking for here is your presentation skills more than anything else.
    If they wanted to talk to you about a project you were involved in, they could just ask you in the interview.

So while I'm not suggesting that you make it up, what I'm saying is that what you say isn't nearly as important as how you say it.

The first thing I'd do is check out what resources you will have. Projector? Powerpoint? Whiteboard? Flipchart? That will allow you to lay out your presentation in the appropriate format and prepare your script.

See if you have any flexibility in the environment that you are presenting in. Standing up is obvious, but try not to put a table or a projector between you and the audience. Get close to them and move about as much as you can without running in circles. Unlike a real presentation, you probably won't be able to involve the audience as you usually would, so telling jokes or asking them to do a mexican wave is probably not a good idea.

Index cards are handy, unless you've been told you can't use them.
    The real thing is to engage your audience, so try to use body language and make sure you pitch at the appropriate level.

To be honest, when I've been really stumped for material at times like these, you can always say that you organised the lottery syndicate and it really improved morale when you got to split £10 between 50 of you.

Timekeeping is always an issue that they will look for. Believe me, when you're giving a presentation time slows down. Or speeds up. Practice your pitch and make sure it is roughly 15 minutes. 5 minutes either way will lose you points - so will obviously glancing at your watch every few seconds. Try wearing your watch on the inside of the wrist you hold your index cards with, that way you can see it when you glance at the cards. Or take it off and put it on the table in front of you.

Like I say, they are looking for your presentation skills, that's why they've asked you to do a presentation.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Another thing to add is that you should always maintain eye contact. I would also add that keep on eye on their body language, drooping eyes or hands on the chin indicate that they are bored so ensure you keep their attention.

Sometimes it's a good idea to use a prop, I have seen people put an egg into a glass at the beginning of a presentation, that of course then got everyones attention. At the end of the presentation the audience asked what the egg was for, to which the presenter said 'To eat' at which point he cracked the egg and ate it.
    Now obviously I am not saying you should go to that extreme but you have to keep the audience entertained.

As Jonny says, practice the presentation, you should be able to get it down to the required time fairly easily so the more you practice the better. I would also ensure you have a glass of water or two to hand because believe me you will need them during the presentation.

Finally, relax, be comfortable with what you're doing and you will look like you know what you're talking about. Get it flustered and you can basically kiss it good bye.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice Simon, I had the presentation as part of my interview last tuesday it went well, they still have not got back in touch yet, but the signs were positive, i did the presentation well and it was even commented that they enjoyed it.
    Hopefully I get the job!
    Thanks for the help

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Arj :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)