Preparing for a payrise/promotion

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waria Ahmed, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I am 6 weeks into my new employment of 6 month probation in a 1st-3rd line role. Really enjoying my role and satisfied with my pay.

However, I deal mainly with 1-2nd line and am getting trained up on 3rd line, as there is only 1 person in 3rd line. ( And he obviously requires help in the future to free him up for projects etc)

My question was, what is the best way to approach a payrise?

My plan is to start an MCTIP:Enterprise Admin, then a Exchange 2010 course. Hopefully complete this in 18 months and ask my manager for more responsibility + pay rise at review after completion. Can anyone offer any advice in how to handle negotiations?

Another question on a side note... When do companies normally have their performance reviews? end of calender year or end of financial year?

Thanks

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

every company is different when they review an employee.

Don't count on a payrise/promotion after only 6 months.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Usually, during or after your performance review. If they give you one, you won't have to look greedy by asking for one.

Companies typically budget for what they can give each employee. If you ask for more, and they're unable to give you more, hard feelings can develop that you might not be able to shake. Although I've never asked for a pay raise, I understand those hard feelings well. I was once promised that I would get a raise if I passed my MCSE+I. I did, then I waited almost another year on a raise that never came. So I started looking and found another job.

That's actually why I'm here today... that new job was my first job writing practice exams. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Thanks for your replies...

Im not expecting a payrise after 6 months tbh. I dont really want to take the p!ss lol. However in 18 months I will hopefully be MCITP and exchange certified. And be more competant at taking over more responsibilites as well as projects. So then I will be looking for a payrise of around £5kish?? IF they end up giving me £3k, I wont be too disheartened though.

5. greenbrucelee

in todays economic climate you should be thinking yourself lucky you have a job and if you are given any amount of payrise wether it be £100 or £1000 you should think yourself even more lucky.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You know, I got promoted to a network admin around January this year officially, meaning my boss sent out an email to the company stating this... but I've been doin the job for over a year unofficially... so to be honest I was hoping for a salary adjustment of about 6k, but I don't think it's going to happen and to be honest, I don't really care, it's the experience that's valuable to me, not the money. The money comes later when you're an experienced IT professional and good at what you do. Like GBL said, we're lucky that we have a job that and not looking for one.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I think I have been misinterpreted. I never took my position or job for granted. I appreciate how lucky I am to not only have a job, but a job which I enjoy and have a massive potential for growth. I just just posted a thread to see how I plan my career 18 months in advance.

Just wanted advice on how I could ask for more responsibility and pay at my review which will possibly take place in 2 years time. Didnt want to sound cocky and expect a payrise.

8. greenbrucelee

Just wait until you have a performance review and see how that turns out.

I have had 3 performance reviews in the last 3 years and haven't had a pay rise in 2 years and know that I am not getting one next year either.

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'd be shifting on in that case. I've had a pay rise every year (either through annual pay rise, or via promotion) for the last 7 or so years. If nothing else, I've received a cost of living increase.

I'm underpaid as it is, not getting a payrise is a sure-fire way to find my resignation letter on the manager's desk.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I disagree. If you have earned a payrise you should not just discount this and feel "lucky" just because you have a job.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. greenbrucelee

If it were that easy I would.

12. greenbrucelee

I have done more than enough to get a payrise but if the company is saying they can't afford it until things settle down then I can't do much and being were I am (mainly manufacturing and farming) then IT jobs are hard to come buy and I can't afford to move at present.

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If you are looking for a payrise then I would suggest taking the following into consideration:

Work hard (and smart) and get noticed - this means making sure they are aware of your accomplishments, and also become that go to guy, dont necessarily brown nose but be polite and friendly to everyone from the CEO to the cleaning staff, if you have any ideas pass them on higher up (cc yourself so if someone else tries to take credit then they may be in for a fall).

Document - write down all the responsibilities you are undertaking, if these go above and beyond what your job description says then you are providing extra benefit and give you room for negotiation

Training - are the company paying to train you, if so and you wanted to do the training any way then the company is investing in you, and you get this benefit TAX FREE, lots of people forget this.

Local Job Market - Whats the going rate for someone with your skillset and experience, if its higher than you are currently receiving then its worth mentioning, or even making a move.
    Are there any jobs? No one is irreplaceable, well some people are harder to replace.

Current financial situation - If you are that desperate for money then look at sorting out your own finances, clear the debt, stop buying guff and live a simpler life

Size of the company - if everyone else in the company is in the same boat, the company has no room for pay rises or is downsizing, then maybe its time to look for a company which is in a position to pay.

Love of the job - do you love the work you do, if so then a few extra quid might not make up for working somewhere the work is less meaningful to you, also commuting and work life balance have to come into consideration.

I would say that a job and life arent just about money, but money is very useful, and everyone should get what they deserve but sometimes thats not the case)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

This=true
    BTW I have not had a payrise for 2 years and probably will get a paycut this year but thats my own fault for choosing to work in the public sector.
    unfortunately most companies profits are down these days due to various bits n bobs, so apart from the senior management staff there will be very slim pickings when it comes to payrises for the rest of us. Still the only decent payrise anyone ever gets is by sucking in as much know-how from your current role and jumping ship.
    In 18 moths if you have completed your MCITP:EA with a bit of exchange you would probably be better off looking elsewhere. Still enjoy your current role do the best you can and see what happens in the long run.

Good luck!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I have to agree with Daniel. Employment is a two way street remember. An company can be lucky to have a hard working dedicated employee.

Well done to Kevicho for a detailed post.

Present your case rationally and compare your skills/salary to your co workers if you can.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  16. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I agree with this sentiment. People work hard to ensure the success of the company/department that they work for, and although we are in a turbulent economic time, I do feel that there are many unscrupulous employers out there turning a profit still, but using the ecomonic climate as an excuse to not reward people.

I know many people facing a 3rd year without a payrise, and being in a job when they work their a*** off, isn't much of a consolation.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But it doesn't matter how hard you are working if the company isn't making money - they can't afford to give more. And unless it's a publicly traded company or you have detailed, first-hand knowledge of the company's finances, all you're doing is guessing.

Bottom line is this: if you're being paid fairly for the amount of work you do, then the company isn't likely to give you more, because they can find someone else who can work for that fair wage. But if you feel you are NOT being paid fairly for what you do, then there's a surefire solution to that problem: find employers who will pay what you feel is a fair amount. If you can find them, then you were right. If you cannot, you were probably wrong. It really is as simple as that. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

That's fair enough, but telling others they should just think themselves lucky i think is not fair.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  19. greenbrucelee

I was really meaning I think I should get a payrise and it should be 5k quote. getting any payrise aslong as its not taking the piss should be accepted with humilty there's a lot of people out there working on minum wage and the only payrise they gets when the minimum wage goes up.

Faid do's if you have done something that is gonna make the company money/profit but just because you have been there a while and done the objectives of your job role doesn't entitle you to a certain amount of money.

20. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I dont remember saying I think I should get a payrise for £5k??