preparation material for 70-290 / MCSE

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by adeelmpk, Nov 9, 2007.

1. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

Hi

I have 1 year experience of managing servers and Masters degree. I need to obtain a commercial certification and pass the MS exam 70-290 (MCP) and then MCSE.
    I am going to start my preparation using Testout simulation and Ms Press boo 70 290 (windows server 2003 environment). I also have CBT Nuggets for 70 290. Can anyone recommend me a good way to prepare for exam especially in terms of selecting preparation material.

Thanks.

WIP: MCSE
  2. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I've been using Testout for my 70-291 exam and I'm finding it very easy to learn the stuff, best material I've come across. I mainly used the CBT nuggets for my 70-290 but they used to made me fall asleep, but I was still able to learn the material.

So the best thing to do is go with whatever you feel comfortable learning with.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi there, I'd advise you start preparing for the 70-290 exam by going through the MS press book 70-290 ensuring you carryout the lab practices as well. You can install VMWare on your computer alongside Windows server 2003 setup as AD/Domain controller etc.

Once you have gone through the big blue book its also best to go through another book i.e. the o'reily mcse core in a nutshell and optionally exam cram. When you are done with these books and the labs and questions then hit trancenders exam test prep and when you're hitting the 80% - 90% pass mark then go and sit the actual test.

I'd usually give myself a little after two months but hey with time or if you have time on your hands it can be done. The above is exactly what am currently doing as am also preparing for the 70-290 possibly to sit before xmas. Cheerio and hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can also try the audio guides offer by Preplogic, and if transcender exams are too expensive there are always Preplogic and measure-up :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. stolenblessing

stolenblessing Nibble Poster

can you give me the vmware for windows 2003 server....

Certifications: CCNA, MCP (70-290)
    WIP: 70-291
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Stolenblessing, you can download the vmware server from vmware.com as its free.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell