Preparation for starting an A+ course?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Flipside, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm due to be starting a course at a local college, covering the 2 core elements of the A+ in September. I've been racking my brains about the best way I can prepare for this course.

Given my lack of experience and qualifications are there any IT related jobs I could potentially get, which may help. I didn't think there were as this is the primary reason I'm taking the A+, but I didn't see any harm in asking.

Also is the Mike Meyers book likely to help at this stage, or is it more-or-less totally geared towards exam preparation when the course is in it's final stages?

Those were just a couple of ideas I had, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do feel confident about my ability to complete the course in September, but I think that any extra knowledge I can gain in the meantime will definitely help.

Many thanks.

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Read the Meyers book. You may well be ready to take the exam before you even do the course if you start now.

8)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The big Meyers All-In-One covers everything, not just the final prep. Well worth getting.

As to expereince - ask local independant retailers and repair shops to see if they want an unpaid/low paid gofer. You'll start by making the tea - but with some luck get hands on experience once they see you aren't going to wreck the place.

See if you can blag an unwanted old PC to tear apart and rebuild.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

I'm also starting a college course in sept for A+ and have bought Mike meyers book to read during the quiet times at night ( when the wife is sleeping usually). Not so much to be able to pass the course on day one but to have some background knowledge :blink and use the taught lessons to be able to confirm the subjects and tinker around with the insides of the PC in a controlled enviroment.

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  5. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a copy of the Meyers A+ book on it's way now. I also made some enquiries regarding low paid/unpaid work at local independant retailers - no joy as yet.

I'm going to give ebay a try in an attempt to get a cheap old PC to practice on. I'm keen to get practicing asap.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For an old PC don't forget to look in your local ad-rag. And try a computer fair if one operates nearby.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Flipside,

Just curiously, but aren't you using a computer right now to post with? Is the computer personal or a computer for work? If it's personal, is it a desktop computer? If so, after deeply studying about computer safety (physical and electrical), why not carefully open the case in a way that your warranty isn't voided? That "knot in gut" feeling you may get when you're "messing around with a perfectly running computer" may help you develop a sense of professionalism later when you're working on other people's computers. You may run into simple phantom problems with an otherwise a simply perfectly running computer. Good luck in your studies from now till your college course, and beyond.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

Okay lbroomhall, I'll check the Friday ad for old PCs and there is a local computer fair coming to the next town over in a couple of weeks time.

r.h.lee you make a valid point. If possible I do intend to getting a cheap extra system where it won't matter if I screw something up. But I do see where you're coming from - the 'knot in gut' feeling definitely makes you more careful, that's for sure! Perhaps I'll be a bit braver that I was going to be and save the extra PC just for the difficult tasks I'm making a first attempt at.

9. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

'hands on' is a must for self teach and building the confidence to work on the hardware will come with practise and,probably,a few mistakes along the way.Your Meyers book will explain most of what you need to know and the rest can be gained through hands-on.

Good luck with the studies and if you're stuck at any point,ask! :)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  10. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the book and a PC so I can start learning. It's a nice thing for a n00b like myself to see that there are lots of helpful friendly people around to ask, which isn't the case on every forum. Cheers!

11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ Network+