Pre-reading for the A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by danvan, Jun 30, 2008.

1. danvan

danvan New Member

I am starting the A+ course in August. I am very proficient at using a PC but have very limited PC maintenance experience and have never put one together. I would like to do some studying before the course starts. Can anyone recommend reading material that covers basic hardware, networking and TCP/IP? I guess i am looking for something to bridge the gap between being a complete novice and having a little knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: A+
  2. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

I'm self studying for the A+ and i'm sure as many others on here would, i recommend the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition by Mike Meyers. I find it easy to follow and a wealth of knowlegde. Certainly a good starting point in my opinion :D

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  3. danvan

danvan New Member

Hi Rachel

Thanks for the reply

Would you say it is suitable for someone with virtually now background in computers other than using them?

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I think the best is to get the book mentioned, i would read it before and after the course. Reason i say this is because the course will not cover (im speaking from peoples previous experience now - so please dont quote me or say rule of thumb) due to time constraints everything you need to know so the book will give you some pre-knoweldge and then once you done the course fill in the gaps with the rest of the material. The book actually has everything you need so dont be surprised to see things in there you might not see on the course! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. danvan

danvan New Member

thank you both - i have seen this one before and have found on Amazon for £17.50