Practice exams

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Waria Ahmed, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Can someone recommend me a good site for practice exams. Either free or cheap.

I am using Testout for studying then going over with the MS pressbook but would like to test my knowledge outside the press book.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cheap and free usually mean low quality or even worse braindumps.

why not visit legit practice exam providers such as Boson, Transcender, Preplogic and Measure up and download their demos. Most of these always have offers on sometimes you pay less than half the standard prices for exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

$100+ for practice exams is quite expensive tbh. Do you think its necessary to go through practice questions or is there a better way of revising for the exam?

Cheers

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well if you have studied all of the objectives of the exam and know your stuff then you should be ok. Practice exams are not just there to make sure you can pass they are also there to make sure your knowledge is upto scratch too.

$100 is not expensive for a practice exam that is actually quite cheap, most are about $239

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally never used a practice exam as I just don't see the point in them. If you know your stuff and do your prep right then you should pass and if you don't pass for whatever reason to me the money you would spend on a practice exam would be best off spent on a retake and at least when you fail you know what to expect next time around.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Some practice exams are nearly cost as much as the actual ones. In that case you are better off taking your actual exam and telling yourself its a practice.. unless you pass of course :D

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT
  7. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I think I agree with the last 2 messages. I feel comfortable in how I'm studying for the exam so I'll just give it a shot with the exam.

I think I saw something about a free retake somewhere so it makes sense just to do it that way.

Thanks for your input guys :D

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not cheap, but good training usually isn't.

Is there a better way? Well, if you don't plan on using good ones, I'd recommend not using any. After all, bad training can be worse than no training at all (as you'd have to "unlearn" what was learned incorrectly).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. BosonMichael

The only flaw in this logic is that, if you fail, you're going to need to purchase some good training tools to fill the gaps in your knowledge... the very same training tools that you COULD have bought BEFORE you failed the exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Fair point. Although, with the second shot, it's possibly worth taking the punt anyway - after all, if you win, you've saved, if you fail, you buy the materials, and rebook using SS (for those exams where SS is viable of course). Either way you havent lost anything.

It ultimately really depends on your situation I would say. If you have the experience, and a decent book to study up/fill in the gaps, then using practice exams are probably less required. If you arent so confident, have less experience, etc, then perhaps it is more worthwhile.

Ultimately it's about your own confidence in your ability to take the exam. If you are super confident, you dont need it. If you need a confidence booster, then a good quality practice can help with that, and can help point out any gaps you have.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

I find that practice exams always help with your exam technique as well. It gets you used to the trick questions and the fact that the best best answer to a question might not be a choice , so you have to pick the best out of what they give you!

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Exactly. The important thing to remember is that good practice exams are more than just an exam simulation. Often they have additional learning resources built in, or at the very least try to explain to you why some answers are right and some are wrong, and possibly indicate to you what areas you need to study more. They aren't always about just pass/fail.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I agree that good practice exams can be an excellent learn tool. GreenBruceLee has mentioned several that would serve well. I've had experience using all of those.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  14. BosonMichael

Yep, I agree!

15. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I've been in IT Support for just over 3 years so I'm fairly confident in myself without the need for practice exams. However, I think I'll make a better judgement after I have completed the training for the exam.

16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I have an obvious bias based on the fact that I work for a practice test provider. However, I find value in practice exams for several reasons, including the fact that the good ones usually focus primarily on the concepts that are known to be on the exam. By contrast, a book often covers all of the concepts that "could" be on the exam and, thus, you may end up studying way more information than you need, especially if you've already got experience with a technology.

That being said, I buy books, too; in fact, I normally start studying using a book. But, a practice exam helps me take that information and narrow it down and focus on spending time learning the material that is covered on the exam.

I took many exams before I started working for a practice test provider, and I used practice tests when I was studying for those exams, even though I had experience working with the technology. Not everyone needs them, but they do provide value to those that do.