Practice exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by tysfoot, Dec 2, 2008.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

hi,

can anyone recommend any good sites for free A+ tests or do you have to pay for them. if so how much ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the only legit free practice exam place I know of is proprofs.com

But if you want quality exams then you have to pay visit places like Boson, Transcender & Preplogic.

Free exams are usually braindumps (cheat exams) and are highly illegal so using them can get you done and decertified for life. However proprofs is good. Brotherbill (a member here) has a brilliant A+ essentials exam on there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good and free don't always go hand-in-hand. You almost always will have to pay for quality study materials, including mock testing software.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

ive seen the practice ones on proprofs.com, Cheers

are these free one exactly like the real ones or are they free because they dont include as many questions ?

How much are the full mock exams

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if they were eactly the same then it would be cheating as you would be able to memerise the questions.

They are in the same format though (multiple choice etc)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

yes the same format, thats what i mean :D

am sure there are thousands of questions so it would be impossible to memorise them all

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Not sure about "thousands" of questions Lol.

I'd recommend Transcender for A+, I found them brilliant. They were probably a little harder then the actual exam which helped out when sitting in that little room!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I do know - I read on here - that Boson have just completed their A+ exam software. Assuming it's the same quality as the Vista exams from Boson, then I'd say it would definitely be well worth the cost.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering the Vista and A+ exams were written by the same writers... it's quite likely that the quality is the same. ;)

Muchly appreciated, Giddy. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, there aren't thousands of questions... and it's not impossible to memorize them all.

So why doesn't CompTIA create thousands of questions? Cost, my friend. Good, trained, experienced writers don't come cheap. That said, CompTIA doesn't use good writers; they invite just about everyone who has passed a previous version of the exam to come to Chicago to write questions for them for a few days for a daily stipend. Having untrained writers create content is why CompTIA's got a bad reputation for poorly worded questions. Just think how much worse the problem would be if they had to write 10 times the number of questions, staying 10 times as long (or longer) to create them?

Plus, CompTIA has to make a profit from their exams. They have to; unlike Microsoft and Cisco, CompTIA aren't certifying people to indirectly sell their hardware or software products. Increasing the question pool several-fold would also increase the cost of their exams... which, in many peoples' opinions, are expensive enough as it is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the kind words, GiddyG!

12. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hmm... D'ya think they pay flight-money?!

As for badly worded questions, in one of the practice exams I took for the A+ - I can't remember the source now: Brooks, Meyers, ProProfs - one question that gave me a real head-ache had a treble negative! It ended up a logic puzzle! Something like:-

After you have finished upgrading a computer it fails to boot. Which of these could NOT be the cause:-
    a) you haven't plugged in the power socket.
    b) you didn't take out the incorrect DDR RAM module.
    c) you forgot to reconnect the disconnected HDD.
    d) you did not correctly reconnect the disconnected DDR RAM module after failing to insert an incorrect soDIMM module in that DDR RAM slot, so the RAM was not seated correctly.

Or something like that!
    That my head instantly hurt is about all I remember clearly.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?