PPPoA

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Raffaz, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive just got a linksys WRT54G router to have a play round with, but im having problems connecting it to AOL. I think its to do with PPPoA that AOL uses to connect. The linksys doesnt appear to have this option, is there another way to connect it, like a firmware upgrade (its currently got the standard firmware on). Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nearly all ISPs in the UK use PPPoA.

The snag is that this item doesn't include an ADSL modem - hence no PPPoA.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Raffaz

Ah right, so would i be to use it if i connected it to a modem aswell then? Cheers

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sure...as long as the DSL modem is PPPoA compliant. I had a similar issue. I have a server/networking utility at home I wanted to use to replace my DSL modem. Unfortunately, the device I wanted to use could only be configured with PPPoE. Even getting the modem and the device to communicate was a chore. I tried both straight-through and crossover cables but no dice. I finally put a little 4-port switch between them and for some bizarre reason, it worked.

Now I use the modem just for connecting my home network to the web and the server/networking tool for everything else (router, wireless AP, DHCP, DNS, web and mail server and so on).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Here's how to solve your problem:

1) Uninstall AOL.

Wait, is this not a post on malware removal? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. hbroomhall

Yes - but I suspect you don't have a ADSL modem with Ethernet output. In the UK such items are rare! And not particularly cheap either.

Harry.

7. hbroomhall

<Cough>

I may have thought that - but I tend not to say it any longer! :p

Harry.

8. hbroomhall

Here in the UK PPPoA is the norm. I gather that PPPoE is more usual in the USA.

The main UK ADSL provider is starting to allow PPPoE now, but nearly all modems here come pre-provisioned for PPPoA still.

Harry.

9. Raffaz

I dont actually use AOL software, i currently use a Dlink G604T which has PPPoA settings, but i just wanted to have a mess about with the linksys firmware :) I stopped using AOL software a long time ago, i had to many problems with it

10. Raffaz

I think my G604T would qualify here, its a router aswell, or is that no good?

11. hbroomhall

That will do. The only problem here is that you would have a double-NAT. A lot of software wouldn't care but some might. And you would need to make sure that the DHCP servers were using different networks. So it can be a bit of a awkward thing to set up.

Don't forget to either disable one of the APs - or make sure that they are on distant channels from each other, or your WiFi throughput will go through the floor.

Harry.