Powershell on MCITP: Server Admin

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Simonvm, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Hello

I'm all set to order my books for the MCITP: Server Admin exams.
    I noticed, in reading through the exam goals, that there's some Powershell involved.

Two questions:

1) On the exams for MCITP: SA; do they go in-depth on powershell or just the basics?

2) What book would be recommended to learn Powershell from scratch?
    I'll be ordering from microsoft-press.co.uk and there's a couple of books on the subjects.

Thanks, Cheers! :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  2. ianconscious

ianconscious Bit Poster

Hi Simon,

Personally I wouldn't want to learn a scripting language from a book. Rather I'd look for online resources, where you can better interact with the material and view the code in action.

You can't copy/paste from a book to a Powershell prompt, whereas you can from a website.

Try Technet's Script Center (sic) for starters: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/powershell.aspx

There are numerous links to Podcasts, Videos, Blogs etc. available via the above site - go here for list of links: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/ee861518.aspx

Hope that helps?

Certifications: MCSE; MCITP; CCA, etc.
    WIP: JNCIS-FWV
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

There was no Powershell at all during my course (admittedly my course was the EA rather than the SA). Nor was there any Powershell type questions on the SA exam.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA