Power for multiple office PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dazzo, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi All,

Just after a little info on power.

Looking to power multiple PC's in usually block of four and just wondering how you guys power set ups like this? Do you use multiple extension leads (not plugged into each other) or do you have a different kind of system?

We looking to alter the placement of a lot of our PC's but thinking power might be an issue with location of current sockets.

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hello,

I only know from a school aspect and we tend to power only through mains. There are benefits from this PC maintenance wise. I would use mains power leads even if you have to buy longer kettle leads.

Cheers

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  3. Haroon Mustafa

also, you could get a Y splitter. It's 2 kettle ends from one Wir. Great for your SituatioN. You would need 2 kettle lead y splitters. That would be 2 kettle leads on one wire. Use 2 of those on 4 pcs through mains power, and that should be great!

4. Haroon Mustafa

5. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thanks Haroon.

I think we will need a different option as we also have 2x monitors per PC to power also I forgot to mention.

Anyone else currently do this?

6. Haroon Mustafa

Can you not use an extension lead for that? I Might of confussed myself

7. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Yes but I'm looking for options to power multiple's. An extension lead would have to have 12 sockets to power the block of 4. Not sure if they make them and/or it's safe!

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

How about something like this?

https://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/fi/1689/13036/Standard-C13-Power-Strip(UK-Plug)/

Obviously you will need to be sure you are not overloading the plug socket, hopefully you have a local electrician who can cover that off for you. Otherwise this should give you plenty of power options. You will just need the C13 to C14 cables instead of regular power cables ending with the 3 prong.

Edit: I should mention, these are usually used in racks of equipment etc, but will work just fine for you I am sure. Screw it on the bottom of a table or something, nice neat and tidy solution.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  10. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thanks all!

We have the under desk ones and that's the exact rack like one we looked at Coupe. Went with more of the under desk ones as they seem to fit our needs for now. Was just thinking there must be another way of doing it but the new office we have is getting a re fit so top of our recommend list is power outlets everywhere!!

11. Haroon Mustafa

Aren't these used for switches as well?
    That's a good Idea To use them.

12. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Used for anything that works off a kettle lead! Lol. We use them for allsorts, Servers, Appliances, Switches, Routers, the lot.

They are quite handy though, I prefer using these and the different cables to regular 3 pronged plugs just as it's thinner and neater in the racks etc, easier to keep tidy.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I use one at home, it's awesome.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Haroon Mustafa

Yeah i guess you are right!! They are very practical! :)

CHeers