Potential new job - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Jun 20, 2012.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me. Basically I quit a job a few weeks back after a week of working there and am now applying for a new first line support role. When applying for this new role I am going to leave off the job I quit, If I get this new job will they find out about this last job?

And my second question, the role I am applying is a "helpdesk call handler" entry level job, an "unprecedented foot in the door IT support Role". Now I have never worked on a helpdesk before but I have 4 years experience in a computer repair shop and have on my CV that I am studying for various certs. DO you think they will turn me away because of this as I already have some IT experience? Should I leave this off my CV? Thanks, Dan.

* The wording in inside the "" are their words used.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

They can't find out if you don't tell them. You aren't trying to write-off years of your life! It's only a week, after all.

Your experience is an absolute asset to the role you are applying for. Get as much about it in as you can to the interview. You deal with the public on a daily basis, so you have customer service skills, and are looking to take it up a level whilst studying to improve your technical skills ... that sort of thing.

3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks very much ade. What part of wales are you from?

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Merthyr Tydfil. But don't hold it against me!

5. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Not too far from me then, Neath Port Talbot here :P

6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Even closer to where I used to live - Swansea

7. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

As said above, definetly dont miss off the information about past experience..even though there looking for an entry level person to come in, having 4 years of experience will definetly work in your favour.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  8. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Just dont give your new company the P45 from the old job if you get one :)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP