Posted my CV to various agencies yesterday

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by RogueTrooper, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

Today, the phone hasn't stopped ringing. I've had 6 different agencies phone me up(not the same ones I signed up with), asking if I was available for work and they said they'd forward my CV to their clients. One of them asked if I was prepared to work in the City - I said yes, and the bloke said "Brave man!". Is this a good sign?

Certifications: MCAD CIW Site Designer
    WIP: MCSD
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some agencies are great, some are bad. You need to find one that wont BS you and get you a good job. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

What sort of job are you after and which agencies have you tried ?

Might be useful to others in the same boat !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

I'm looking for an entry level C#/ASP.NET/SQL Server Developer job. I've posted my CV to CV-library.co.uk, CWJobs.co.uk, reed.co.uk, JumpToJobs.co.uk. I'm finding it hard to keep up with who I've signed up with as some of the sites automatically submitted my CV to a few other sites as well.

I'm sceptical about agencies as well. A lot of them either distort things or downright lie. It wouldn't surprise me if they lied to their clients as well. I don't want to tar them all with the same brush, as I have been with some good agencies before. I reckon that they're an unnecessary middle man, and the employers' money could be better spent elsewhere ie in a good HR team that actually have a clue. Here's a link highlighting the incompetency of recruitment agencies.
    http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/1998/12/pr_uk_19981202skills.html

Anyway, I'm confident that I'll find a job eventually, as all my research indicates that the IT skills shortage is increasing and that .NET skills are in particular demand. I don't think the looming recession will really put a dent in the job market either, as IT is fundamental to modern business. If employers want people with the right skills, it looks like they'll have to bite the bullet and provide the training themselves and keep their valuable staff happy, so they don't leave in a hurry.

5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

its a good sign your CV is being read but i have agencies contacting me all the time saying your CV looks good we got this and that job and we'll send it to this and that company but realistically i rarely get an interview that way. i get better responses from actually applying for jobs.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

I know that there are loads of jobs in my hometown that require .NET skills, but they're all through agencies. If I could find out who these companies are, I could contact them directly, find out what they're really looking for and get an honest opinion as to whether or not I'd stand a chance and if not, what I'd need to do to improve things.

7. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

. see below

8. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

It's good that you're getting calls, it means that your CV is getting noticed. I used to get on average a call a day from someone (usually from an agency, but now and again from a direct employer) but most of them didn't deliver the goods in the end. There is a lot of BS about and you have to learn the tricks they pull, so be careful.

A lot of the jobs are through the agencies but these are often short term contracts and not permanent roles.

Remember to re-upload your CV on a regular basis so that it stays fresh on the sites.

9. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I personally would be a little concerned if you agreed to more than one agengy putting you forward for a job. They tend to be vague about who they are forwarding your CV to, and there's nothing to say that your CV will not land on one company's desk from more than one agency. This could cause your CV to go in the bin as he employer will be aware that you are more than likely to have had your CV posted elsewhere.

IMO, job sites should be avoided and agencies hand-picked based on reputation. Some agencies out there are a one-man show! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  10. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

I had an interview last week, but I didn't get the job. The only phone calls I've received since the interview have all been from different agencies asking about the job I had the interview for. Everything else seems to have dried up. I'm starting to get quite down about it, as I have a massive Career Development Loan to pay off. I have been totally ignored when I've applied directly for jobs - not even a thanks, but no thanks reply. It looks like I'm going to end up in the same vicious circle I was in 10 years ago - no experience, no job, no job, no experience. It looks like I'm going to have to go round all the agencies in my town, and try and get a crappy warehouse job, but then I look overqualified, because of my degree and other qualifications. At least I will be able to talk to the agencies face to face.

11. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

The thing here is not to let it get you down mate.. sometimes it does go quiet on the job front, but then all of a sudden you will have another flurry of activity :biggrin

While a warehouse job may not be ideal at least it brings in a little £££, that was the route I had to take for 2 months untill i landed my job. (I held out for 3 months then the wife went ape :cussing and told me to get my ass to tesco's or something :cracking lol).

When it comes to warehouse jobs (or similar) you just tailor your qualifications a little.. if it doesnt require a degree dont mention you have one :oops:

The thing is not to let it get to you down.. just hang in their and hopefully something will come up soon :)

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  12. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Good your you :)

It hard to find good Agents.

Thanks disarm for posting url Top 10 tricks I had Interview yesterday on jobsite salary was 18k when I was in Interview they said salary was only 14K bit naughty.

13. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  14. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

Aaaaargh! I've been looking for work for 5 months now. The phone hasn't rung for ages(although the last guy who phoned me up said I was obviously not a doughnut, which is good, I suppose), and the bank I took my CDL with wants its money back, which I'm finding quite difficult to pay whilst I'm on benefits. I'm getting absolutely no response from any jobs I've applied for recently.

I really need to rethink my strategy. I'm thinking of doing some voluntary work to get a bit of experience. I've noticed that my local CAB's website absolutely sucks, doesn't work in Firefox(or probably any other browser than IE), and appears to have been done with Microsoft Word. That would probably be a start. Has anyone got any other ideas on finding voluntary work?

The only other options I've got are :

1. Get back into a career in science.

2. Do a PhD until the economy sorts itself out.

3. Go back into low-paid, soul-destroying warehouse jobs for less money than I need to survive.

4. Take up a life of crime.

4 is not really an option as I'm far too honest and far too nice.

3 is only as a last resort. There's really no point in spending 8 hrs a day doing something you hate. At least on benefits, I've always got time to do things I enjoy, and learn new skills. I've been to interviews for jobs like this and they've said "Why do you want to work here with your qualifications?" So far, my degree has been little more than a bit of paper with my name on it, and has been little use in finding a actual job - sometimes even a hindrance.

So the only real options are 1 and 2 or continue to bash my head against a wall trying to get an IT job. At least I do have some actual experience as a microbiologist.

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Coming up on 7 months now for me. Looking for IT/IS Manager type roles. I can say the CITP has helped tho' I usually now send an extended CV out with a copy of my CITP evidence on it and explain about the process of getting CITP in the covering email. In the last 2 weeks I've applied for about 23 positions and actually had 5 recruiters phone back to say they were actually submitting my CV to the employer. Total job count on applications since I started is about 190 now (had a few interviews which didn't get anywhere).

Be careful if you opt for voluntary work as it can affect your benefits depending on how many hours you do (it's to do with being "available and looking for work").

I assume, like me, you're signed up on all the jobstes for searches to be emailed through ? Don't also forget to make even minor changes to your CV and resubmit it as it brings you back up on the list when employers and recruiters search.

PM me if you want any more details of what I've tried to do.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would suggest that you re-evaluate your priorities. Any job, even a ****ty job you hate, is better than sitting unemployed. I'm not talking about for the wallet here, or career progression - primarily from your hunt for a job.

Think about it. You've been sitting on your ass for 5 months without a job. How is that going to look to an employer? They are liable to think that you are a waster. At the very least, it doesnt make you look like someone whos willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Employment gaps are always undesireable. And the longer that gap gets without a satisfactory explanation being available for it, the worse its going to get. Even if you manage to get into an Interview with your ever expanding gap in employment, how is "I couldnt find a job I wanted to do, so I did f*ck all" going to look to an employer? I appreciate that you want to get that 'dream job', but that gap in employment is hurting your odds more and more with each passing day.

At least with an unrelated job you can say: "Yeah its a crap job, and yeah I dont enjoy it, but at least its bringing me in some money until I get that job offer from the gods".

Even if you have to stack shelves in safeway, get yourself back into employment as soon as you can. You are doing yourself zero favours by sitting around unemployed.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its a tough market at the moment, took me three months to get my current position.

The tricks link is spot on, absolutely required reading.

I was gettting 20+ calls a day, less than 1% were genuine and still took 3 months to land another gig.

I think you need to spread your net wide so I'd not advise a single agency. You can widen your net in many ways, geographically, being prepared to literally relocate anywhere, financially, being flexible about how and when you get paid, bonuses, stock, contract/perm etc, being less selective about the role, retraining to make yourself more appealing, looking for positions in different ways, networking, cold calling etc.

Some employers will bin your CV if it arrives twice, its normally because they get threats from the two agencies about suing them for 'their' commission should you get taken on, regardless of who subbmitted you first. Be under absolutely no impression that the agency is there to help you, they are there to help themselves.

Apply for every job you like the look of, regardless of agency and hope for the best. Try and keep a record of every conversation, date, person you spoke to, position regarding etc. Tell agents not to put you forward without your consent.

If they ask about other leads tell them theres either none or that you are not prepared to talk about it, ask them what the position is, who for etc, its a perpetual you show me yours i'll show you mine game... Never show them yours...

Science skills should be in demand, if you have a bent for science I'd reccomend pursuing it, at least maybe consider combining your skillsets to make yourself more marketable.

Fergal has a point, but its also worth having some self belief, sometimes the right job is just round the corner. Signing a contract with a notice period for a position you don't want could scupper your chances with a better position. So you will have to make a judgement call how long you can wait before lowering your sights. Personally I don't view small gaps as a bad thing, lifes not about being a wage slave.

If you are Phd material having safeway on your CV will probably not matter either way when you apply for a research post. If you like the idea of a Phd then I'd look into it if you have yet to start working, the most economical point to do a Phd is straight after college, this is because you are losing low paid years of employment rather than high paid ones. After the Phd you can start on a higher wage.

Best of luck !

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I find having a job whilst looking for your dream job is still much better than sitting on the dole waiting. By and large I don't mean to degrade anyone because no one is indispensable.

However, when you have a job you can still eat well and pay some of your bills as well as keep hunting for your dream job.

Secondly, if need be tell them you're in a temp role to make ends meet. To be honest at the end of the day the primary reason we all thrive to work a job we like is because we get paid at the end of the week or the month.

I can say the above because I have been on the receiving end and know it can be depressing most times but ultimately nothing in life is that easy. Best wishes gals and guys and keep hussling:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

Look, I haven't worked for a lot longer than 5 months. That's just the time since I completed my MCAD. I've actually been on benefits for about 9 years, since I've had long term mental health problems. The Disability Discrimination Act 2005 covers that. The time I've spent on benefits doesn't seem to be an issue. My lack of commercial experience does though. I've actually managed to get better and now I'm on no medication, and got some certs to boot.

The main reason I'm thinking of doing a PhD, is because I've been looking in the back of New Scientist, and the stipend for doing a PhD is better than the vast majority of temp jobs I can get. It is a major commitment, so I'm a bit apprehensive about it. I would like to do some research into bioinformatics as it involves a lot of IT to analyse gene and protein sequences.

My dad also wants me to design a website and database for him, but he's been a bit busy lately to discuss his requirements. After I've done that, I should have enough to make a website of my own if I include my own pet projects, one of which includes an editor for my synthesiser written in C#. I actually managed to spot a bug in my synth's OS.

I've also been doing a spot of music programming with ChucK, a C-like language designed specifically for music, and I could stick the source on my website as well. At the moment, I'm learning Haskell, because I think that having a grasp of another programming paradigm other than OO would be useful. I'm finding it quite challenging, but absolutely loving it.

20. Crito

Crito Banned

Just start your own corporation. Then you can lose money year after year, spend most of the work week playing tennis at the country club, go out for three martini "business" (tax deductible) lunches, and it'll all count as management experience on your CV too!

Works for the execs at big corps here in the US anyways.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none