Post Test Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rax, Aug 16, 2007.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey all

I took in my uncles pc some months back now and I have to say, I've never had so much trouble with a repair before.

Firstly, the mobo was dead, I was able to check this with my old pc as it has the same parts, ram, cpu etc.

I firstly bought a 2nd hand mobo from ebay which was burnt out. So I then bought a new mobo recently, an asrock, in hope that it would be fine with this. So I set it up for minimum requirements to reach a successful post test and enter the bios and to my relief all was well. I went ahead plugging in the floppy, cd and hdd and booted it up.
    It passed the post test and came up with a blue screen error, I assumed this was due to old chipsets and things remaining on the hdd and took it out. I put it in my caddy case and took some of the files that my uncle wished to save and went back to the pc to format/reinstall OS on the drive.

This is when it went wrong:

I first tried to boot and the PSU wasn't giving the pc any power, I then changed the psu from my old pc and alas, it was powering up. So now I have a dead PSU as well as the mobo error. The pc boot up and on the post test I get this error:

CMOS Settings wrong
    Unlock Keyboard

I tried the CMOS reset and also tried removing the battery over night - none of this worked.

I've looked around online and it would appear that the Unlock Keyboard message usually means that a keylock on the pc case has been locked and you need to use the key to fix it. The case has no such keylock and therefor this isn't something I can do.
    I also read that if the mobo is giving you this error when there isn't a keylock on the case, that the mobo may have faulty wiring.

This is a rather messed up situation and it's most annoying because the mobo DID work before the drives were plugged in.

I'm aware that on VERY RARE occasions a drive can damage a mobo but as I said, very rarely.

I emailed ASrock about this, and they basically said to take it to a local tech and the seller pretty much said the same thing as it's cheaper than paying admin and postage fees.

Any ideas? or is it time to buy another new mobo?

P.S.

The PC is a DELL, this is the exact reason I would never buy anything from a company again. CUSTOM ALL THE WAY! :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

This is a photo of the error... :(

http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00231ly3.jpg

3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

No ideas then? :eek:

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you get into the BIOS mate? Also is there a BIOS update available?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

you pic is not loading up... this this happen even when NO keyboard is plugged in. is it a ps/2 keyboard?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Can you get into BIOS?

EDIT: 2 minutes too late! :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Nah, I can't get into the BIOS. I have tried checking the online manual and found that if you press F2 you can enter BIOS before the post test but it didn't work. I only got into it once before I went and plugged in the drives.

As for the keyboard error, i've tried PS2 and USB keyboards :S

8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I've not checked for a BIOS update, though I doubt I could update it without being able to make the pc go beyond post test? :blink

9. Sparky

Unplug the devices you dont need (HD, DVD drive etc.) and see if that helps.

You should still be able to get into the BIOS unless there is an issue with the keyboard now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea I've already tried that too - First thing I done when I got the error.

I can't remember if I tried removing a keyboard all together, but I've just went to see and it's still the same :(

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like he's already tried more than one keyboard which is what I would have suggested.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, I've tried 2 PS2 keyboards and one USB, all of which work on my current pc.

14. Sparky

Take the battery out and boot up without it, running out of ideas now I must admit!

15. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I've just tried this and to no avail :rolleyes:

Tried with and without keyboard and also removed power cable in between changes to reset cmos

16. Sparky

Long shot, is there a jumper on the mobo you can change to put everything back to factory default?

17. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Right now I'm not overly sure, I'll check the manual and online manual tomorrow (my day off) and I'll get back on whether or not I have any luck.

Thanks for the help Sparky

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just to back up Sparky's latest suggestion - it would most likely be labelled "CMOS Reset" on the mobo. Should be one somewhere.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ugh, yea, I thought by factory reset he meant something other than CMOS reset? As I already mentioned that I had tried using the CMOS reset jumper and removing battery methods.

He has also suggested trying to remove the battery and booting the pc.

Maybe I misunderstood him?

:rolleyes: :eek:

20. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I have checked the online manual for the board (ASrock P4i65G) and I've been unable to find anything that would set it to factory default. :(