Possible to get into University with poor A-levels?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Maseybaby, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Maseybaby

Maseybaby Bit Poster

Hi, just a quick question, I mucked up my a-levels really bad as I pretty much flunked the whole of the second year. As such I ended up with Maths E, Physics E, ICT D.

With these grades will I even be considered for University? Before I apply I will hold several Microsoft certs and also Comptia A+. Do IT certifications help in anyway for a candidate to get into University?

Is it worth retaking A-levels?

I'm 20 now and I do not want to waste anymore time so any advice would be really apreciated.
    Cheers
    Lee

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Computer Sci, MCDST, MCITP, CCNA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could take the Open University route.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I can only speak from personal experience but I mucked up my A's too (something to do with having a car and discovering pubs/girls I think - all a bit of a haze now tho' :dry ).

Anyway, I went back to uni at age 24 and they took my work experience and some qualifications I'd done as necessary for entry. I'm sure (depending on the course) the same is true today. In my day we still had grants (no student loans) but there was an additional sum available too for "mature students" - you had to be 25 when you started the course to get this (I just missed out by about 4 months).

Hope that helps !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I went to uni, my highest gcse was a D. I went to college and got some NVQs in IT and a GNVQ in IT and I was accepted into uni no problem.

You could do the same route as me by doing some NVQs and a GNVQ.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Maseybaby

Maseybaby Bit Poster

ahhh cheers I got my NVQ's in IT and stuff when I was in high school so that's sweet, I have work experience in IT and my A+ certification and studying for Microsoft ones, hopefully this will suit me fine then :biggrin:biggrin

Cheers guys you brightened my day

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Computer Sci, MCDST, MCITP, CCNA
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

It depends on a few things:

1) top of the table uni's will be out of your range, but plenty of uni's further down the league tables will be ok.
    2) when you apply via UCAS your personal statement can carry a lot of weight
    3) if an interview with a uni is needed, you can push your extra curricular activities as well (working charity shops/volunteering/assisting newbies in IT) but also MCPs - especially if its a degree you can serious link to your MCPs as well as career hopes/prospects.
    4) whilst I'd advocate for going to uni - its not for everyone so don't worry too much
    5) its not 100% clear whether you've just got your grades (but I doubt it as they usually come out in August) so sometimes "mature" student may simply mean not going straight from college/6th form into uni.

If you're definitely wanting to go to uni - look on UCAS and pick a course and uni and phone them - ask for the correct department and ask, ask, ask!!! They may be under-subscribed, they may be just hedging their bets with the grades they're asking for (companies do this with certs so why not educational institutions also!) - or wait until clearing after the A-level results appear and start phoning.

If there's a will, there's a way! Good luck!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. S7AN

S7AN New Member

Unis are still a business and they want your 3k/year. Try to apply to courses through clearing then universities will be looking to fill up the courses and you are more likely to be accepted. Definately worth contacting Unis as they might come up with the option of some foundation year before degree course or something.
    Colleges usually do foundation degrees provided by unis, study 3rd year at uni and you get hon uni degree with no mentioning of college. Definately easier to get on them courses too.

If I was you I would definately re-take A level exams if that's somehow possible before you forget all the subject content. As even with 2:1 degree most graduate schemes also require UCAS points from A levels and even Cs at GCSE maths and english.

Certifications: BTEC IT