Possible job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I received a call today from an online betting company (bet365.com) regarding a job vacancy they had. They had seen my CV on monster and felt I might be interested, salary would be discussed in interview but she said it was within my target on Monster which I put at 15k.
    The only thing for me is maybe the hours, she said it was shift rota 8am-10pm 365 days a year so could end up working xmas etc. Its not the nicest prospect but sacrifices are necessary I guess, also might be nice to get out of the 8:30-5 5 days a week business. She didn't go into detail about how long the shifts were within them hours or how it worked, just that they required flexible working. (I'm quite a flexible person I think, got asked today if I would go down to Reading tomorrow for a 2 day course due to a lad being ill and unable to go, thats flexible lol)

Anyway, this is the job info that I have been emailed, to me it looks like an ok position, they desire AD and Exchange skills which I don't have but i'm guessing that means I will have so thats good. Just wondered what folks thought, if i've overlooked something, as i'm very good at that lately (as my car found out yesterday :lol: )

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds ok, go for it.

BTW working on xmas day sucks but you'll probably get double bubble for that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Markyboyt

Yes very true. My stepdad works at the Muller factory and he does 7 til 7, 4 on 4 off, alternate days/nights, which can mean at xmas that he works xmas day, boxing day, new years eve and new years day. Pretty crap.
    That said I don't usually do anything productive at xmas and don't have any kids (who are essentially what make xmas exciting) so am sure its no biggy, plus its only once a year.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Love working at Christmas. Hate it all with a passion anyway, there's no-one in the office to piss me off and I get loads done because I can get downtime for otherwise critical systems with no notice.

This year I shall be rearchitecting our SAN and moving our production DB from one platform to another over xmas. Bring it on!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:blink

If you say so, mate! I've done the "weird shift" thing before, and I much prefer schedule stability. Then again, I've got a family. Still... when your schedule is a moving target, it can sometimes be difficult (or impossible) to take classes, schedule vacations, plan outings, etc.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Markyboyt

Yes very true, before I did my apprenticeship I worked at Safeway supermarket and the shifts there varied, used to hate doing 12-9pm or 1-10pm, I think theres advantages and disadvantages to each, given a month i'd probably be yearning for the 8-5 again :lol:

I think if its a robust schedule so 1 shift 1 week, the other the next, you can sort of map it out in advance, if its crazy, like at safeway it was done 3 weeks in advance, then its very hard to plan anything short of booking time off. That said i'm a newbie to this world, at safeway, and indeed at BMW theres a lot of folks doing the same job so holidays can be a little more flexible. I imagine that if theirs 2-3 people doing something or even less then its a lot more restrictive.

7. Markyboyt

Valid points, especially in a job where its difficult to get downtime, and if xmas isn't your thing then winner.
    For me I prefer not to work over xmas but I do (except xmas day and boxing day at present) because theres people at work with small children who I think would better benefit from the time off.

8. Markyboyt

Well I have an interview for this job today, god I'm nervous lol

I just don't know what to expect. Have read through the interview thread at the top of this section but my head is jelly

9. greenbrucelee

Good luck mate :)

10. Markyboyt

Thanks GBL I think i'm going to need it.
    I suppose there is one good thing, I was going to go after I had been the dentist to finish a root filling, now the dentist has hurt his hand so its cancelled.
    That said maybe that would of brought me some favour when I went to mush, now I have no excuse

11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

On a more relevant note to this topic, I used to live down the road from the Muller factory haha, not in market drayton though, that place is just plain crap. :p

Thanks for listening.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. greenbrucelee

you don't want a dentist fiddling with a drill and scraper in your mouth when he has a knackered hand. Maybe your luck is in.:)

I need a dentist havent been for years, got thrown out of the old one as I kept on missing appointments :):(

13. Markyboyt

your right I don't, hate going the dentists.

I used to miss my appointments, now the receptionists always ring the day before to remind me lol

14. greenbrucelee

wish mine had, I used to say I work nights can you make my appointment for 4pm or something and they'd make it for 9am and I wasn't getting out of bed after 3 hours sleep for anything.

15. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

lol, I remember I got a call from mine after I moved to Manchester from London, giving me a reminder I had an appointment tomorrow at 10am, Apparently I had been in the dentist and booked it, desptie having not been to london in 9 months lol.

They were seriously going to charge me for it.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  16. Markyboyt

What do they expect then if they give you appointments you can't make, mine are quite flexible, they will look in advance for after work ones or first thing to minimise impact on work.

17. Markyboyt

Any idea's what sort of questions might be asked of me in relation to the job description in the first post?

18. greenbrucelee

could be anything from, do you know how to set up a user account or reset passwords?

How do you check event logs?

How will you help the team by passing on your knowledge to other members?

what do you if you can't resolve an issue?

Along those lines perhaps.

19. Markyboyt

Thanks for the info GBL.

Well I had the interview, somethings went better than others
    Asked me a few interviewy questions like strengths, weaknesses and an example of when ive made something worse and how I've corrected it. I actually struggled a little with them and wasn't able to answer the last one. A bit due to under prep I think as they are quite typical interview questions, I'm just not used to answering them. Oh well first interview so good practice if nothing else.

Technical questions were

What is my understanding of ping which I explained and how I had used it.
    What is my understanding of trace route, which aparently I was only the 2nd one to get right
    What are terminal services, which I was a little unsure of, I told him I didnt really know but that I would guess it would be related to network services on a networked machine. He did explain that it was something like remote access but that it runs in the background.

He also asked me what route I would take if somebody called me and said that there pc wouldnt boot. I ran through the clarifying the issue, is it powering up, are the discs spinning, is it getting to the BIOS screen, does it get to the windows screen, has anything been changed or fitted.

Oh we discussed what BMW he should buy as well :lol:

20. greenbrucelee

Sounds good, fingers crossed :)