Problem Possible Exchange server re-build on the cards.... Help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi,

I’ve had numerous issues with our Exchange server after 2 disks went belly up last week. Firstly I managed to recover the mailbox database using the ESEUTIL utility, but the public mailbox store was screwed. I’ve spent most of the day trying to fathom out why external email is being queued up in the local delivery queue, checking connectors, DNS, etc. Added to that, users have been having numerous issues sending internal (intermittent) email.

The Exchange 2003 server was also a DC but it was demoted and AD was moved from this server to the other DC, therefore leaving one DC and one member server (Exchange server). Both are running 2003 SP2.

I’m going to promote the member server to a DC to see if that makes any difference, and if not I’ll have to re-build the server from scratch.

So, I’m going to be running DCPROMO on a member server in an existing domain/forest – any thing I should look out for?

Cheers,

Dubfire:biggrin

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dude, you demoted the server from being a DC when Exchange 2003 was installed on the same server?! Why?!?! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Sparky

For the emails that have not been sent what NDR do you get?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Active Directory on the exchange server was giving numerous errors, so it was moved to the other server to try and 'save' the day. The external email has just been queued on in the local delivery queue, stuck there. Forced the connection, re-started the routing and SMTP service, etc. To send externally the users forward their email to one email account and from that they are sent from the same mailbox. This client was playing up big time giving a load of different errors. The way it's setup isn't straight forward mate, and I'm on a steep learning curve - so it's doing my head in! I could try deleting with a NDR though, good shout. Though if I do attempt to promote the member server with DCPROMO do you know of any gotchas?

5. Sparky

I don’t think a new DC is going to help here mate.

How did you recover the Exchange database? Did you use eseutil with the /p switch?

6. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cheers for the reply -

Yeah we used that utility and it's various switches to repair the public folder database. The mailbox database was recovered. The DCPROMO is a last resort before having to re-build the server as a DC with Exchange. I've taken a note of the server name, exchange organisation, disk space etc. I'll also backup everything on the server (only 40GB) to the DC using NTbackup, plus PSTing of all the users mail.... This is a BIG job so I was hoping the promotion of the server was worth a shot.

7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Btw, before DCPROMO is run will I have to run ADprep? Both are running 2003 SP 2.

8. Sparky

How is DNS setup for Exchange mate and how does Exchange send external email? For example is there a smarthost in the SMTP connector.

In regard to DNS for Exchange have you configured that in the SMTP virtual server?

How to Configure External DNS Servers on an Outbound SMTP Virtual Server

I would delete an email with a NDR to see if this is the case (e.g. DNS isnt working to send outbound)

In regard to the internal sending issue I think you still have corruption in the mailbox database after you have run eseutil. You can run ISINTEG to check this.

Using the Exchange tools ISINTEG and ESEUTIL to Ensure the Health of your Information Store

Just one other thing – try putting the Exchange log files in a separate folder and see if that helps. I recovered an Exchange database a while back and the recovery was fine except I could not send any emails – I moved the log files and then everything started working. Log files then got created as usual when email started to flow.

9. Sparky

No - Would check that you have all FSMO roles available and you have a global catalog

10. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Tell you what mate, this helpful stuff.

There is a SMTP connector thats used for routing external email. .

DNS went belly up so I created a forward and reverse lookup zone with a host record with the distant server ( not on the same domain (the one all external email is received from)

I'll run that ISINTEG tool tomorrow - good shout. And I'll delete an email with NDR and see what comes back. Plus I'll move the log files as well.

You're definitely right about the mailbox database still being corrupt to a point as, for example, some old email refuses to open or the attachments are not accessible, etc.

Cheers again my man. I'll give you a shout tomorrow with a progress report. Though time is tight so I need to decide to re-build (if needs be) by tomorrow.

11. Sparky

Good luck with it mate. You are right – sometimes you just need to pull the plug and start over but from what you have said I think you might be able to fix this.

In regard to DNS make sure forwarders work on the DNS server and you can resolve external domain names. Use nslookup for this. As I said check the DNS settings in the SMTP virtual server – this might be blank which is ok, it just means it will be using the DNS set in the NIC of the server.

Edit: If you get the chance I would dismount the exchange databases and copy them off the server (as a backup) before running any further ESEUTIL or ISINTEG.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012