Possible CPU cooler issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 7, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A client has given me their PC to look at as they were concerned with the PCs temps going up and down.

I told the customer that they could expect increases and decreases as we have had strong temperatures lately especially ambient temps because of this so called heatwave, but the custome asked me to check anyway.

I ran a virus scan which brought up nothing and I checked all processes and nothing was using much cpu percentage so I have dismissed those.

I opened up the PC and took of the cooler and removed the thermal paste from the cpu and cooler with some Arti clean. I then reapplied the thermal paste and re-set the cooler (Xigmatek 1280 or something) I have notice that one of the fins on the tower part is slightly bent and scraped could this cooler be damaged and thus why there are abnormal increases and decreases in temps?

EDIT: this isn't a system I have built.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

That shouldnt matter mate, one of my fins is bent and it still cools it down to 34C. As long as the section of the heatsink that makes contact with the CPU is fine then there shouldnt be any issues.
    What are the temperatures like in the BIOS? What is the customer using to check his temps? What are the temp values ranging between?

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Can't see a bent fin affecting anything tbh.

Remember that too much thermal compound is just as bad as too little and that the seating of the heatsink onto the cpu is critical (is it sitting evenly ???)

In this case, first thing I'd do is run PC-Check and leave it on a soak test for 24 hours, logging results so they can be printed.

At the end of the day some people seem to get very hung up about this type of thing which, if the pc is performing ok, is not really an issue (unless it's running outside of specified operating temps for the cpu - which is doubtful).

The reality is that if your cpu starts to cook you'll know in a few seconds (usually exhibited by mouse pointer problems).

I certainly wouldn't ever encourage my customers to go anywhere near looking at cpu temps - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The BIOS says 42 but jumps to 56 degrees c at idle but with the cpu being an e8400 which are known to have stuck or bad temp sensors I installed real temp and that says 36 - 42 on idle and 36-62 on full load.

I have ram prime95 for 9 hours on it running full wack and the temp got to 70 degrees according to real temp, the system is almost the same as mine apart from my temps are 37 idle and 54 on full load I run a tuniq tower.

I am stuck between either thinking its the cooler or just because temps are high at the moment to be honest although the customer is running it in a coolermaster cosmos s case but only has four fans instead of the full compliment so this could be an issue too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?