Possibilities

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wasted Little DJ, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Wasted Little DJ

Wasted Little DJ New Member

Hi folks, just finished my HNC in Networking which I very much enjoyed and about to embark on the HND in 3 weeks time. The first year of the course covered the A+ and N+, which I hope to do by Christmas, with the 2nd year focusing on Cisco with the external qualification being the CCNA.

I plan on coming out after this year and hopefully gaining employment. I have come from an Account Management background, which I hated, and after a close family member died felt that life was too short to do something you don't like doing thus pushing me to persue my job in IT.

With the above qualifications and external certifications do you think I stand in reasonable stead of finding an entry level position at least? Beginning to worry slightly:(

Certifications: HNC Networking
    WIP: HND Networking, A+, N+, CCNA
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

In all honesty, you stand as much chance as the tens of thousands of others with the same qualifications (and no experience) fighting for the entry level job.

So keep plugging away, that's all that can really be suggested.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Not sure this will effect your employment chances but good luck.

There are low level jobs out there but there are many people applying for them. Try and gain experience anyway you can. Work for free helping out in IT for a charity if you have to. It will all help when applying for a job.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Wasted Little DJ

You mean like the Red Cross or something? I just think that I would be better coming out after the HND and trying to build my experience and knowledge within the work place would be a more suitable road than staying on and doing the degree and being in the same boat.

Thanks

5. Beerbaron

Any company as long as the job is career related. Working one day a week or something unpaid is nothing when you are a student.

I dont know your situation but i have always been for people going to uni if they can. I had the best time of my life although i do wish i had done a different subject. I worked for 5 years and decided to go back in to education. Im just coming to the end of my masters in computer forensics. You have a whole lifetime to gain experience but at least having a degree you are more likely to get an interview.

I have just this second seen on the news that graduates on average earn £100k more in their life time :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd still advise a degree but I think the benefits today are far less clear than they were, I think a good education is always going to be vital.

The statistics of increased pay probably were never a fair argument as you are comparing largely inteligent motivated people against the great unwashed. There will be a significant minority of that group that are also highly motivated and in many cases will excel, but they will not be reflected in the group average.

It is also quite possible for people to learn many security aspects while say working for the government, the police or a defence firm.

The fact that they run security courses where most people can't even program C or assembler seems a little pointless to me, couple that with the fact that the majority of security managers I've met seem to spend the majority of their time worrying if you lost your keypass, which hardly requires a masters.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  7. Wasted Little DJ

So you don't actually have a position within IT then?

8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Wow, 100 grand over the space of 40 years working.... Don't spend it all at once there buddy :biggrin SO in theory, you earn £150 a month more than me, now minus the £180 in student loan repayments, and then compare that to someone with OUT a degree who has been working for the last 4 years whilst you sat parting at uni. There is absolutely no value in it from an IT perspective. IF you can get an IT Job without going to Uni, DO IT.

And that's just it, you DON'T have a whole life time. Some people having been trying for YEARS to get in to IT, now tell them they have a "whole life time" to get into it? it's nonsense, experience trumps certifications in most situations, and with the reputation of Uni students amongst employers lately (that they are completely unprepared for real life, swimming with a bunch of academic knowledge and no actual ability) a Uni education doesn't count for much at the start, and it is at the START that people have problems.

That's the same logic as people that go "awww, I have a whole life time to save up for a pension or x or y or z". Reality is, they are lethargic devils that all have one glaring stereotype about them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Beerbaron

I dont know all the facts and figures about the average £100k extra as i saw it briefly on BBC news which i had on in the background.

Having a degree depends on what type of career you want. I want to work in computer forensics and without a degree/masters for any one young and entering the industry you are not going to find a job. Many positions will not even consider you without a degree. I agree experience is key but being educated as well makes you so much more appealing to employers. The job market is becoming so much more competitive now so you need to do everything you can to stand out.

If you are even considering going to uni just do it as its so much more easier than trying to do it later in your career either part time or taking time out of work.

10. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't be where I am today without a degree. It was a rubbish experiance, with pointless, bad lectures and lectureres but still a degree has meant more than any certificate. It entirely depends on the situation though. Within the I.T. support world certs count for more in most places it seems.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.