Ports on a switch have connection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nugget, Dec 31, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi folks. I know that most of you have probably had this problem at some time or another and someone might know a solution. It involves the ports on a switch where it seems to lose contact/connectivity. When you then lift the ethernet cables then the port has connectivity and when you let the cables go and they are in the normal position then it loses connectivity again.

To put it into perspective, I just bought a secondhand linksys wrt54g. The w-lan functions without a problem but when I stick an ethernet cable into any of the ports there is no connection. When I lift the cable up then it gets a connection and functions as it should, albeit with me holding the cables up in the air. If I let them go the return to the 'normal' position i.e. hanging down and they lose the connectivity.

Is it just a case of a soldered connection inside the equipment has come loose and is playing silly buggers with the connection or is it fubared?

Thanks

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am guessing you checked the cables? Something definitely sounds loose on the inside... Seems like the RJ45 connector might not fully connect to the pins on the inside of the connection. If you look inside the connections on the router, can you see any pins missing/bent? or anything out of ordinary?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The pins all look perfect although a bit dusty when I got it.

I really hate to write this but it seems that it might be the cables that were the problem.
    I did check with different cables. Firstly I checked with the cable that came with the router and there was no connection. Then again with my known good cable (that I use for testing these things :dry ) and that was when I had the funny connection problems. Change back to the other cable and the same problems.

At work when I usually have the same type of problem I suspect the cable. I replace it and the problem disappears and the suspect cable disappears into the bin.

Then I checked with a third cable and still the same problems.

I didn't want to put it into my working network but I did and now the problems have disappeared whichever way I move the cables around.

What are the chances that 3 cables are duds?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There's not much chance of all 3 cables being duds, especially if one is/was known good. It's also not impossible though.

If it were me, I'd replace the current working cable with one of the suspected suspected duds and see what happened.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey guys, on to the next problem with this bloody thing. This thing has an rj45 port for the internet connection but I only have a cable with rj11 plugs. Now, I borrowed a cable from work that we use for our telephones with an rj11 plung for the phone and an rj45 plug to plug into the network. Connect it all up and it still doesn't work.

These things are supposed to be easy to set up, right? The thing I'm wondering now is, is the cable that I used the wrong one? I've just seen that I could also get an adapter for this so I can use a normal ethernet cable from the router to the adapter which then plugs into the telephone line connection. I could also get a VDSL filter which would do much the same thing, albeit at 3 times the price.

Any advice as to which one I should take?

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um.. i am not that familiar with the WRT54G but logic dictates that if it doesn't have an RJ11 (telephone) port, then it doesn't have a built in modem.

In other words it is a router and wireless access point.

If i am right, you need to plug a cable modem/ADSL modem or whatever device you use to connect with your ISP in first and plug the WRT54G into that.

here is a linky that suggests i am correct.. http://www.pctechbytes.com/networking/how-to-configure-a-linksys-wrt54g-router

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also, you should bear in mind that POTS your typical British pair of trunk lines, has 50VDC on them and i believe 70VAC when someone rings on that line.

If you are directing those voltages into a RJ45 that is designed to have an Ethernet connection, you are asking for something to be cooked :ohmy

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)