Poll......What did your first salary pay in I.T

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tysfoot, Dec 11, 2008.

?

What was your first salary in I.T

1. Below £10,000

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. £10,000 - £14,000

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Over £14,000 (Specify)

35 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hiya :biggrin

im hoping to get my first job in entry level I.T support very soon.

I'd like to start a poll on what your salary was when you got your first job in I.T ?

Also i would like to add - What qualification did you have when you had your first job ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Not much, £13,000 a year after three months probation (£11,000 during probation).
    You have to start at the bottom though, did that for 18 months then moved away from the first line call centre into a proper second/third line support role. I really enjoy IT, it's not just about the money for me.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Started on £13.5k many years ago....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well I am not in a proper IT job (not by title anyway) but when I started doing IT stuff like configuring the servers and doing fail over procedures, killing of processes and hoping things work I was on 15k, I am on nearly 20k now.

My job is mainly manual/semi skilled but becoming more skilled by the day.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

How did you get this job, did you already have your A+ when you applied ?

This is the route i would like to take as i prefer manual skilled work

6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My first salary in the IT field was £12k pa approx.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

my first salary was £16k building custom pcs, servers and cluster nodes

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Cheers guys, interesting stuff.

I added a little bit more, i just wanted to ask what qualifications you had when you had your first job..

I semising the majority of people will say A+

9. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

My 1st was 14K a year. Rolling out PC's and printers for a huge organisation, imaging them and the like. We would support them for the 1st 2 weeks then the support team would take responsibility for support after that. I had an HNC incomputing and was working on my A+ but although i was working in another job when i 1st started working there as on my days off i went in on a voluntery basis to get experience and that more than the qualifications got me the post i think.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  10. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I was ready for my A+ when I went for the interview, passed the exams a few weeks later (before I started the job).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I got this job because I was an unlucky **** and couldn't get aproper IT job and had spiraling debts which needed to be paid. I started on £9550 a year and for 4 years it was purely manual, heavy lifting and running around like a blue arsed fly.

After 4 years of gradual exposure to the system I was basically doing things better than my manager and the other guy. I had all my qualifications when I started this job in 2000 but not the A+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I started on £10,500 7 years ago.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  13. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I started at 18k supporting a small housing association. I didnt have any quals when i went in, but they were aware that i was working towards various things. I started there straight from college doing computer engineering.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  14. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

I'm still in my first job (£10,000 anually and £9,000 during 3 month probation). Money is low but I get to work on servers remotely and work closely with the second line and third line engineers. So the experience is pretty good.

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  15. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I did not have any professional IT quals when I entered IT. I did have a bunch of C&G's certs, RSA IBT2 (for those that remember that), my NVQ 2 in Software Creation, my HNC and I was in my final year of my p/t degree.

I only started down the professional IT cert route once I was in the job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I started on 15.5k and am now on just over 16k (my first and current job)
    1st / 2nd Line I.T Technician in the Midlands.

My (Academic Qualifications) moved from bog standars GCSE -> A LEVEL -> Computer Science BSc Degree
    Also got C&G Level 2 & 3 NVQ's IT Practioner / Professional (Vocational Qualifications)

FatP :)

17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

My first and current job, I started on 19K two years ago (wow, two years already).

First Line support is the job title, but it is, and always has been, more of a second line role. I was offered the job with the view to becoming helpdesk team leader 6 months in, which has also happened.

When I got the job, I had the A+ and was working on the N+. I now have both and 70-271, and am studying 272. My boss has never required us to get Certs to progress but I hope to become MCDST, MCITP and get my ITILv3 next year amidst studying part time for my degree.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well it was 10 years ago for me and I was self employed but from what I can remember the net profit in the first you would have put me in the middle category :)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  19. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

I didn't have any certifications when I started my first job in a small PC Sales/Repair shop but they were aware I was working towards A+ and N+. First salary was £14k.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  20. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

First salary was 16K which I was very pleased about and I'd just passed my A+ when I got it. A year later I have my MCDST and am earning 24K doing product support in a different job....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA