Please help?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by darrenwis, Feb 23, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

As you may of heard over the last few days, I graduated in 2007 with a 2.1 in BSc Business Information Systems but as of yet haven't got an I.T. job.

The book for the A+ should be here tomorrow and I am going to start it as soon as possible and complete the exams when i feel confident. I will then move on to N+ and MCDST.

When I am at this point, hopefully by the end of the year I hope to then go out and secure my first I.T. job. With those qualifications in place do you think I would be an attractive applicant to employers?

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of jobs down in Wales at the moment so I may have to look to travel aswell! Or do I stay and spend a year doing a masters such as MSc in Strategic Information Systems with Information Assurance but then I would be 25 and still no I.T. experience!?!?

Advice please!! :D

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're probably an attractive applicant to employers NOW. Certifications only make you more attractive. With that in mind, you shouldn't wait until you are certified to start looking. Every day you're not in IT is another day you're not building what employers REALLY want an applicant to have: experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what if I told you I finished my HND in 99 struggled in dead end jobs for a while whilst paying of debts from uni and now am only getting some decent IT exposure, because thats how it's gone for me.

Not everyone walks away from uni into what they want to do it's a battle for everyone, some people are lucky some people aren't but if you keep trying you will get there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

My brother has two degrees and is working, but its very little pay, offering no real learning guidence, and now he is looking for something else. He got offered after his A levels a chance to learn and work as a air traffic controller but turned it down thinking that a degree would offer him something better, but no work came so he did another degree, and got offerd his current job working with accounts with a major industry in oil and gas industry. Now you would off thought the company would be quite switched on in the learning guidence. And too prove how much he was valued he gave him self a few days of work, went back thinking he was gonna get sacked or put on some sort of warning but nothing happened. (i would not reccomend this)
    But anyway just because you have fancy qualifications it does not guanteed you getting a decent job and remember you will be competing against people with other degrees.
    And now he met up with one of his friends (facebook lol) who did the airtraffic controlling and is earning stupid amounts of cash.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Ive always had a job, so I guess Ive been lucky in that sense. Have you tried looking down a level e.g. Low paid jobs just to get your foot in the door?

It is worth getting the A+ / N+. What job you doing at the moment?

An MSc could be seen as just filling the time even more.

Also have you tried graduate schemes?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

"MSc in Strategic Information Systems with Information Assurance"

Posh title but will it teach you anything that employers need ? It sounds pretty woolly to me, unless theres hard core engineering or skills in there I'd skip it.

I wouldn't advise a masters unless you want a research position, you should be learning stuff that 99% of the population don't know, otherwise as mentioned it will likely be a waste of time and money.

7. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

No i haven't tried graduate schemes yet, unfortuantely at present i'm not in a situation where i can travel the UK to get a job :rolleyes:

I am working in customer care at the moment, not even an I.T. role which is disappointing, i'm going to work for my A+ and N+ in the next few months and see how i go, will these also help in the graduate scheme hunt?

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+