Please help me

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by glenn, Feb 7, 2010.

1. glenn

glenn New Member

I was a student at ADVENT Training studying for my msce to help me on my way to a future in IT however they are now in insolvency as of 28.01.2010 and i am left with some studybooks and no certs i have researched the course and found all the books i need to do the various exams however having already given away a lot of money to this company i need to find where i can get cheaper exams mainly for 70-270/71/72/90/91/93/94/98/84 thank you for any help

2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Mate search up Advent and read some of the posts that many other have left recently. I recommend self study as I have been completly f**kd over by training providers. You can do it yourself in your own time. buy a few books off Amzon or Ebay or whatever and study a few hours each night like most of us do. Then your the only one to blame if you don't pass. Cheaper exams? Im sure the 270/271/272 ect.. are all £88.00. Have you worked in I.T for a few years or are you a newcomer?

Regards,
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hello to you too.

Did advent take your manners as well as your money?

Do a quick search of the forum, hell, I'm feeling nice today. I'll do it for you, that way, you don't have to do anything and can just sit back and relax whilst we solve all your problems;

Here you go mate, the most up to date thread on people just like you

Cheers.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

LOL! Great minds think alike :D

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well he did say thank you. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. glenn

glenn New Member

I also said please HELLO how are you all and sorry if i offended anyone

7. westernkings

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are not going to tailor an answer to you mate. I suggest you look at the link I gave and consider searching the forum for advent.

Chances of getting your money back? if you paid in full? ZERO. If you paid by Credit or Loan, then minimal at best.

Chances of passing your MCSE? Minimal, talk to the bank if you got a loan and they MAY be able to find you another provider. if not, suck it up and get on with life.

Options? Talk to your bank if you got a loan, if you paid in full up front, I suggest you get on with life, get studying and salvage what you can from your situation. IE, carrying on studying and pay for the exams your self.

If not? go back to work and accept it as a lesson learned.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Westernkings in tough love mode today I see :p

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

you think? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. westernkings

Haha, it's just beginning to grate. People just rocking up here for no other reason than their own ignorance biting them in the ass later on. Expecting us to hand out free financial advice lol. This aint the CAB. Why the **** would you come onto an internet forum about certifications and not straight to the CAB or similar?

I'll be honest, I couldn't give a **** about people being bitten by Advent. I cared at first but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it just less competition for the next job.

I think they expect us to turn around and go "hey guys, we will have a whip around". It's beginning to become another FM.

I'm going to go sulk now. :D

11. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

It is not very nice what i want to write, but i will do it:
    There is a pattern if you read between the lines.
    Advent students: Please help me?
    Self study folks: What is the best way to do it?

:eek:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

There has been a lot of talk about Advent and the like on the boards.

Lets get this into context a bit.

Agree or disagree with TP's they are here and here to stay. They have a place in the world, just as you have. Like or dislike, there is no need to diss them out of hand, esp if you have no first hand experiance of them.

Whilst the OP may not have put his/her point over in the best way, I do thinh that they have been put down unfairly. Yes we have had a LOT of posts ref Advent, but does that mean they should be dismissed out of had. NO, we should welcome them and guide them. Give them advice as CF is recognised as doing.

If you can not give advice to these people who have lost a whole wedge of £££ in this Advent deal, then lets not give any and keep quiet, coz it's only gonna get to a flame war and no-one wants that. But I know that CF members are above that and will advise these people how to get out of their worries, coz that is what we do.

Being done by Advent is not their fault, and I can quite see that these people are hurting, but lets guide them as IT pros and CF members so that they can at least be on the way to their goals.

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hmmn, I thought all the OP was asking for was where to get discounts on exam entries ???

If you search m8, there are a couple of threads where there is a guy who posts offer codes.

Check the Microsoft site too for "Second Chance" so if you do fail you can have another go for free.

Other than that, most of us have self studied and the MS Press books come with a discount voucher.

HTH :D

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  14. glenn

glenn New Member

thank you ukdarkstar that is what i was asking i have found all the books i need just wasnt sure about the vouchers

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He can borrow my avatar if he likes. I wholeheartedly approve as long as there's truth being told! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I think you should qualify that - Do you really mean all advent students? I'm/was an Advent student and I just get on with it, there have been others as well and here you are rocking up and effectively saying that every Advent student is incompetent. Wind your neck in and stop making sweeping statements that you can't back up.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  17. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

Having read all the replies and rants on this thread, I only want to say that we who have been burnt by the Advent debacle quite rightly have ourselves to blame. To all of us Advent and other TP casualties we must stop bleating about the unfairness. I am new to IT but have found a path that I enjoy, Advent DID help me.
    You guys here are experts (and I'm not being sarcastic) and maybe what we're asking for is some guidance as to how to move on. I appreciate the time you take to answer our questions bearing in mind you also have jobs and have worked bloody hard to get to whatever positions you hold.

My apologies to if you disagree and if you don't want to help us, and I don't blame you if you don't, then CF is not the forum I was led to believe it was, please let me be wrong (I'm not having a go at anyone).
    If this is rambling, well, there is so much to say and I can't type as fast as I think.
    Singe1642 out.:cry:

WIP: CompTIA A+ Essentilas