Please could i get some advice!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wez pipes 69, Feb 25, 2007.

1. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

Hi there i,m currently looking for my 1st role in I.T i,ve registered with so msny agencies but not getting many interviews. I understand the computer world is very hard industry to get in, i have recently been offered a job working for a company doing helpdesk for there business software pulse. Just wanted to know guys if this is the right step because idealy i would want to work with microsoft products.

Any advice would be great thanks!!!:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: mcse
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

It's a foot on the ladder which is more than I have at the minute.Take what you can get , you can still apply for other jobs while gaining experience at helpdesk/support, it all helps.Good luck.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. wez pipes 69

wez pipes 69 Bit Poster

Thanks mondos. Good luck to you also!

Certifications: a+
    WIP: mcse
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Mondos, any work experience in the IT world is good, no matter what it is.

Most employers ask for a minimum 1 Years experience.

Certifications do help, but work experience counts more.

Once you've got your foot through the door, make sure you keep a work diary. You don't have to write down everyday, but just write key points of what type of work you did. This will help when applying for new jobs, it's something to put down in cover letters and on your CV. Also it's something to discuss at the selling point in the interview.8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, get your foot in the door. If it doesn't work out, you can leverage your help desk experience and get a better job later.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yep - well I went throught the whole malarky with agencies when I first certted with NT4 and then 2000 several years back now.

I was trying to get my foot in the door like a few dozen other folks...and getting knock back after knock back I might add!

So what I did was basically BOOTED that flaming door off its hinges, I COLD-Called prospective businesses..as life is too short.

I was dressed ready for work in my suit, I had about 50 pre-printed CV,s everytime I went out - and I have the gift of the gab also.

Basically dont let the rejections get to you is the deal, remembering you only need one outfit to say "yes"

After a few weeks I lined up some part-time work to lift my experience, and that lasted until I found a full-time contract that then lasted a couple of years.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He already did get his "yes"... he was offered a job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

If that is the line of IT work you are interested in getting into then I would say it is definately a step in the right direction. Go for it mate :D