Please can I have your opinions/guidance

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by timmer, Apr 6, 2010.

1. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

Hi Everyone and thanks for reading this.

I have just failed my A+ Essentials exam (by 21 points).

There were networking questions to the level that are definitely not in the Mike Myers study Guide.

Also there was a question on fire extinguishers!!!!

There were questions in there that I knew I should known and didnt but am really frustrated about the questions that i feel i had no warning would be in there.

As an example one question was similar to:

You have connected two switches but only the lights on one switch are on/flickering.
    What is the problem?

A. One switch is defective
    B. There is a protocol difference between switches (or something like that)
    C.
    D.

Which fire extinguisher should be used on a laptop fire?

A. Class A
    B. Class B
    etc
    etc

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

post approved.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Well if the lights are off on one switch then it's got no power or is faulty. The flickering lights on the other is normal as it shows network connectivity to the various devices plugged into the switch.

As for the fire extinguisher question i have no idea but remember there were questions like this on the exam when I took it about 7-8 years ago. Google it and see what type you use on electrical fires. Problem is if your in the UK I'm not sure if the US and UK have different standards.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

and class c for the fire extinguishers.

As for the networking questions, I got a lot and they are covered in the Mike Meyers book but some of the topics were only mentioned briefly.

Failing by 21 isn't a lot, you were probably about 3 questions of passing. I would dust yourself off and go over the topics you failed heaviest on you will find them on your transcript.

Maybe get a practice exam from a legitamate source such as www.boson.com With their simulator you don't just get questions and answers you also get the reasons to why the answers are what they are.

I also recommend that you get Mike Meyers' passport book which is a book focussed mainly for revision it breaks down parts in the big book to help you revise.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I suppose I will study and take it again.

The thing that has angered me is that there is no mention of fire extinguishers in the mike myers book, so what other suprises are there in store for me.

Im quite sure that the networking questions were more advanced than in the book too as I have covered it quite well.

6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure everything you need to know is in the exam objectives located at the CompTIA website.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. greenbrucelee

Yes it does, can't tell you what page at the minute but it definetly mentions it in the chapter talking about saftey.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While not specifically stated, it would fall under the category of "Operational Procedure: Outline the purpose of appropriate safety and environmental procedures and given a scenario..."

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. greenbrucelee

yes and it does mentioning it briefly just as it mentions other saftey precautions.

It mentions fire extinguishers class A,B,C, D and E. If I remember correctly it goes like this

Class A: Solids
    Class B: Flammable liquids
    Class C: Flammable gasses
    Class D: Metal
    Class E: Electrical
    Class F: Cooking oil n stuff.

and I said c before :oops: should have remembered.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There was when I read the book but that was years ago, things may have changed now. Is Windows NT still in it? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee

it mentions 3.51 for about a quarter of a paragraph :D

12. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

as in 'Figure 3.51'

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  13. greenbrucelee

lol yeah :D

14. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

OH MY GOD.... right i think i need to apologise to you all. I have just looked on amazon and searched the mike myers book for the word 'extinguisher'. Right there on page 286, so i'm guessing that it elaborates on that subject.

Now the reason that it is not in my book is because it is a study guide from Advent. Yes thats right I was one of the 'Advent' students. Anyway, I have been studying from the 'Advent' version of mike myers comptia a+ guide: Essentials Exam 220-601 book. It is all original material from his book but they must have missed some parts out that are actually included in the exam.

Better get the proper book and get on it!

15. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

16. greenbrucelee

Yes thats the one.

I always knew that advent book was bunch of crap.