Plastics and ESD

Discussion in 'A+' started by flex22, Aug 29, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've read that common plastics will generally create the greatest static charge.

Materials that don't easily transfer charges are called insulators.

One of the best known insulators are common plastics

Just need clarification on this, as it seems a little contradictory at first.

How can common plastic build up a big charge in the first place, if they don't easily transfer charges?

Is it that they build up a charge over time, more slowly than other materiials, and that they keep them longer so that when they do transfer then it's a big transfer?

Also, what will cause this transfer.I mean doesn't the conductor have to be 'stronger' than the insulator, ie' more force pulling the electons/charge.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Here's a quick rundown on Electrostatics for you, Flex :)

Shocking reading, I tell you .....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

:snipersmi

noooooooooooooooooooooooo that was bad jak!

bet you fancy yourself as a bright spark huh? lol.

to be honest, i think plastics have a greater ESD because they build up the charge but because they're not so good conductors, it doesnt go anywhere, until it finds a really easy discharge route (you/your electronics!)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Lol, I realsie I was getting it the wrong way around slightly now.

Thanks for the link.

I'm going to drill this into my head so that it's always there for recall when needed :lolbang