Planning on taking my first MCP exam

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jimmydefc, Nov 27, 2006.

1. jimmydefc

jimmydefc New Member

I am planning on taking 70-271 in the next few weeks, and have a couple of questions about the exam itself, and the revision I've been doing.

First up, are the exams themselves typically held using a touchscreen, or is it point and click with a mouse? In terms of the results, how are you notified? I take it it is a case of finding out fairly soon after completing it? Is this something that displays on screen and gives you your score, or is it a case of waiting for a printout that is provided by the exam room staff?

As for my exam prep, I actually attended the full 5 day MCDST course in the summer, but just haven't had the time to sit down and put the training into practice. I've been making most use of the Measure Up training CD you get with the Official MS Books.

Typically I have been scoring 80%, but the past few times I've had 90% - with a pass mark of 87%! Is it just me, or does that seem a rather high pass mark to have to attain?

For those of you who have sat a real exam, and have also made use of the Measure Up practice exams, how close the real thing are they?

Hope all of the above made sense! Great forum by the way, hopefully I'll be MCP'd in the next few weeks!

Jim

WIP: 70-271
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

The exams are computer based - usually multiple choice - like you say point and click.
    You will get your result as soon as you finish and it will pop up on the screen.

As for revision i hope you have read the MS Press book as well as praticed on a pc or two? Take your practice results with a pince of salt the exam will be much harder and the pass mark is 700/1000. Just dont take it at as 70%!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.

:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although I haven't seen MeasureUp's content, I can say that they're a legitimate practice exam vendor. Practice exams from legit vendors should give you a feel for what you'll find on the real exam by providing a similar sort of interface, where you can take a timed exam to see how you might do on the live exam. Keep in mind that the questions they offer are NOT the same ones you will see on the exam. That being said, they will probably test you on the same concepts (at least, they should if it's written well). Not having the same questions as the exam is a good thing - you don't want the actual questions from the exam - that would be cheating.

Also, keep in mind that practice exams can only test your ability the FIRST time to take an exam. Afterwards, you've already seen those questions, and you will subconsciously start memorizing them. Remember, those questions won't be the same questions you'll see on the live exam. Therefore, only the first score you got on a new, unique exam is the only one that will accurately gauge your progress. This is why you shouldn't use any practice exams until you've studied sufficiently. After you've studied, then take ONE practice exam (most vendors have three or more in a product) and see where your weak areas are. Study those weak areas and then take another (different) practice exam. Don't take the last unique practice exam until you think you're REALLY ready to take the live exam.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!