Planning on taking exam in 2/3 weeks

Discussion in 'A+' started by tismyself, May 12, 2008.

1. tismyself

tismyself New Member

I'm planning on taking a chance and going for the A+, currently in college so i will be taking it around the time of my computer hardware exam, i figure studying for one is much the same as studying for the other, two birds with one stone and all that.

The course im doing is I.T support, but id like to try to stay away from call centers so im hoping the A+ will help with that. I'm not one of those that think this wield massive financial return, i just like tinkering about with the innards of PC's.

Ive got the sybex book, maybe 2007 edition and the test engine that came with that, as well as some trainsignal videos for good measure. ive already got a fairly good knowledge of computers but dont fancy paying to do the exam twice so any advice would be appreiciated.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just make sure you know all of the domains covered by the 2 A+ exams (you did know there are 2 exams to pass to be A+ certified right?).

remembering IRQs and cpu package types is probably the hardest thing to remember, although I didn't have any questions on IRQs you might.

If you have time, get compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers that covers everything you need to know.

btw Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I echo GBL - if you want to avoid retakes then the Mike Meyers book would be a useful addition.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tismyself

tismyself New Member

Aye, knew it was two exams.

cheers, will check out that book.

havent read much on irq's but i know a bit on CPU packages, not enough to be comfortable though.

Just waiting to get other college stuff out of the way and then start studying for this.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck :)

Another good bok which is basically a load of exercises for you to practice is PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

Before I started studying for my A+ I had hadn't seriously messed with PCs for 10 years so things had moved on quite alot such as SATA hard rives and CPUs that didn't have pins on them :)

Plus everything had much faster data rates than 10 years ago.

The exercises in the technician street smarts book helped me to get back into the swing of things, so I can't recommend it enough.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?