Planning MCSE 70-291

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by JustG, May 21, 2004.

1. JustG

JustG New Member

HI All,

This is Justin, i'm workin in and mnc in networkin department, Currently deplying the services in-house. PLanning to leap into an IT company where i would be workin for external clients.

I've planned to accuire MCSE 2003, starting with 70-291, Does any body have the experience, suggessions as guidance which yuo can make available to me. There is lesser information about this exam avalable.

I heard its a difficult exam, is it right? plz help

I also heard that DNS and DHCP are imp for this exam, anybody who has given exam recently or who can hepl/ share plz do so.

Thanks guys
    Justin

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi JustG

Welcome to the board. :D

Good to hear you are planning to do some certification. However, I would not start with the 291 exam. IMHO do the XP and server exams before you tackle this one.

I passed this exam in the W2K days and yes it has a reputation for being harder than some of the others, but that is not to say you will find it difficult it all depends on your areas of interest.

Good luck with the new job.

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:iagree

Hi Justin and welcome. I agree with Sandy that whilst you can get your certs thhis way it is certainly not the easiest. The XP and server route first and then this one perhaps.

Take a hike to the New Members Board and introduce yourself to the rest of the crowd. They don't bit (well not too much).

:D :D :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Justin. Welcome to Certforums. I'd have to agree with the others on your choice of exam. It would probably be much better to "get your feet wet" either with an MS client exam (70-210 or 70-270) or with the 70-290 exam as your first go, then work your way up from there. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide upon the 291 as your first MS exam?

All that said, I'm glad you found our little corner of cyberspace and hope you make full use of the facilities. Welcome aboard. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. JustG

JustG New Member

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies!!

First, I’m sorry for replying late, cudn’t help as I stuck in work. This happens all the time that you plan things and couldn’t complete due to lack of work. Even internal clients are chasing you like hunters ;)

Yes I’m aware that one should be first conversant with basic exams like 290 or 210. I decided to go for Mcse 70 291 first because of couple of reasons.

1) I believe in doing things unconventionally, (well not all the time :)

2) The OS level configuration and installation is something I do all the time and have fair exposure to situations involved. It’s the planning and managing the network which has more responsibility involved and is imp too. To clear MCSE 70-290, I felt giving easier exams are not mandatory so I decided to go for the exam which is difficult.

3) Also for the first exam usually you prepare more and can sfford to spent more time, usually it happens.

4) Normally ppl would be doin 70-290 first and there fore there would be lesser availability of 291 skilled. This means more nich.

5) Once this exam is clear rest will not be much of difficulity, I think :)

I still looking for effective and efficient means for preparation and skill assessment. Recently I came across couple of companies making practice exams and Exam Simulators. Very few companies have interactive question on their collection. Have you guys heard about Whizlabs Software, though I’ve tried demo version of selftest and transcender. Will try whizlabs soon and will share my observation. If any body have already observed points please do share it with me.

Very important “The study material” what do you say should one buy third party books or MSDN would be gud along with Microsoft Press books.

Please share anything you have on your minds…

Take care n thanks again
    Justin

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi JustG

Your call at the end of the day. There is a lot to say about exam method personally I'd go for the bankers of XP and Server.

7. evo

evo New Member

I agree with Justin. It is better to start with the hard test. If you can not pass the hard test you should not be taking the easy test.

I nearly passed 70-291 the first time. Since then my score has dropped 20% on average in the subseqent times I have taken the test. However I feel I am achieving mastery of the subject material.

Evan Williams, MCSD, VCP