Pink LCD Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Jul 28, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

For a number of weeks whenever I've rebooted my laptop, the monitor display is pinkish for the first few minutes, then it adjusts and is normal. I've also noticed that when the laptop is on battery power, the display is also pinkish but returns to normal under main power.

I know that laptop displays dim when on battery power to save energy but the color change is making me worry. Any ideas out there?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

the problem could be the little plastic connector between the monitor and the motherboard. This heats up kind of melts and cause all sorts of problems with the screen

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. midfield general

midfield general New Member

could be the backlight needs replacing as well. How long have you had the laptop for?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

About 4 or 5 years. I was afraid the screen was dying altogether and I'm not budgeted to buy a new laptop.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If it has a VGA plug, why not boot into a different display? At least this way you can rule out the display.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd try HERE first, Trip. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Smartazz. :rolleyes: One of the things I mention in my book is that you don't have to know it all...you just have to know who to ask for help.;)

8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Well the only advice I can offer you is from my extensive experience with a monitor that kept going pink. And by pink I mean dark, deep, pink.

It would typically do that when it was cold (off for awhile), and after awhile it would go back to normal.
    My recipe for making it manually go back to normal was to slam my palm onto its top or side. Just bitch-slap it till it got back in line. You can try that on your laptop, it might work. Not.

All good things come to an end, and eventually the monitor no longer responded to my prodding. We had to put it down. I was sad; I couldn't understand it at the time. But I know I'll see Pinky again someday.
    Someday.
    :cry:

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Had a similar problem to this with an old compaq evo laptop. Found that the ribbon cable connecting the display to the mobo was getting pinched by the casing due to age. I managed to fix it by inserting a small piece of plastic into the gap in the casing to loosen the grip around the cable. Those ribbon cables can take all sorts of clamping with opening and closing the lid. Does the colour of the screen change if you tilt the monitor back and forth on its hinge whilst its pink? If you get sporadic colour changes it could explain it. Shot in the dark, but always worth a look.

I agree with Boyce too. Hook it up to another monitor to see if the monitor also boots green. if it does you know your dealing with a gfx or other issue, if it doesnt you can pretty much bet your life the display is at fault.

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert