Pinging

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Jun 12, 2018.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hello there

We are starting a project where we are moving from a managed host to a SaaS environment. We even have a test server set up where we can log in and mess about with the new system etc, however I have a question in regards to the pinging of this test environment. I can ping the test environment and get an IP address however I get the ping request timed out but I do manage to get the IP address and also I can login without any issues so there isnt an issue so to speak.

My question is would the 'request timed out ' message be a security feature or is there something else that I am missing. Also when I ping the main address, it gives me a request from another server which I am presuming it does that because of the way a cloud environment is set up?

I am hoping I have made sense there, if not feel free to extract the urine

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ping requires ICMP protocol to work, some environments they have firewalls that block IMCP packets.

When you ping using a hostname a DNS lookup occurs first before the actual ping, so you are just saying DNS works when you get an IP address.

Not sure what you mean by 'main address', but there can be multiple hostnames mapped to different servers.

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the info Dave

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said ICMP is probably blocked. Also are you pinging a virtual server? If so it may be that Windows Firewall is causing the issue (blocking ICMP) however it has a port open for RDP hence why you can connect.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs