PING Zeb - or any Americans!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Why is the NFL playing at Wembley?

I've tried Googling it, and come up with other random one-offs where NFL matches have been played in the UK - is this to mark the start of a season, or is it something that will happen every Sunday?

I love the technicality of the game - and how deeply tactical it is. Without having Eurosport (or indeed any sports channel except Sky Sports News) I would love to be able to watch it on a more regular basis.

Shed. Light. Anyone? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

This happened last year as well - the first regular season game ever outside America. This is pretty much an exercise in marketing - trying to spread the word to the rest of the world. American Football has always been pretty popular here - I played Free Safety for the UK junior champions when I was a kid :biggrin. I think the NFL are trying to gauge whether they could sustain a franchise in Europe - London is the obvious choice because of the prestige that goes with it, but we've had semi-pro football teams in the capital before (the Monarchs) and it never really worked. That's more than likely because the league they played in was ****e - having an actual NFL team here might work.

The NHL has done this too (that's Ice Hockey for all you sporting know-nowts out there) - last year the Ducks and Kings played two games to open the regular season at the O2 and this year they had four teams open the season in Europe (including my beloved Pens)

Personally not sure it'll work, but its worth giving it a go!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :)

If my beloved Titans or Preds visit, you must go. Take pics. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Its weird that this is viewed as a great marketing exercise, yet the premier league were chastised for suggesting the exact same thing.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They should do it more often, then I get to watch NFL in normal hours instead of in bed at stupid o clock.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

They should play proper football not some sort of rugby conversion :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

We thought of that, but there weren’t enough points being scored. North American football can score up to 7 points in one play. :scratch

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's funny that in a game called "football" the ball actually touches someones foot about 3 times in the whole game.

Anyway, real men don't need to wear helmets and shoulderpads to play football.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. BosonMichael

How so? It happens twice after almost every touchdown (once for the extra point, once for the ensuing kickoff), twice for every field goal (once for the FG, once for the ensuing kickoff), and once for every punt (which happens several times throughout the game. In fact, in the game played at Wembley, the ball was kicked 31 times:

Kickoffs: 14
    Punts: 5
    Field Goal Attempts: 4
    Extra Point Attempts: 8

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I wasn't counting the kicks, just enjoying watching the spectacle on the BBC.

First time I've really got into watching a game properly, instead of waiting to up until 1am to watch a game, which I fall asleep watching after a couple of minutes :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOLOL - o rly? 'Real men'? That's the attitude I always hear from people who don't understand the game. Here's a hit from a player who played in the same position I did. And players in my position aren't exactly noted for their hitting prowess...

Trust me, most American footballers would ruin most other sportsmen in a physical contest

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

BM - Nugg's number "1" key is not working on his keyboard, i have edited the above to show what he mean, which means the amount of times the ball was kicked according to what you have just quoted.

Apologises on Nugg's behalf....

*runs away, before i get kicked in the bleeding head! ....hehe*

13. BosonMichael

rofl! :biggrin

Extremely well played! :thumbleft

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Exactly what I meant. Thanks Cheeky one. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

NFL players are freaks -- the extreme athlete, with size and speed that no other sport can match, period. Try getting hit by 275 lbs of solid muscle that can run a 4.5s 40:ohmy

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  16. BosonMichael

Tennessee Titans' RB Chris Johnson is only 200 lbs... but this is what a 4.24s 40yd player (fastest time ever at NFL Combine) looks like: link