Ping Stoney - sky broadband access forbidden

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Do you remember having issues with accessing Ie / Firefox after installing skybroadband software? Your name comes to mind...

If you did, did you manage to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

L

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Lee,

I have recently moved over to Sky broadband and there was no software required. I assume you are connecting via USB?

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello,

It's not for me and i've not set up sky broadband before - I'm trying to work out what's happened to a colleagues machine...

I prepped a work laptop recently for a colleague. He's taken it home and installed some software that came with his sky broadband package.

He then tried opening up IE at work and is unable to access any websites - access denied.

I took a look at proxy settings etc and they were all incorrect so reset and it worked ok...

....but then he took it home again and couldn't connect to the internet - no matter what settings he tried...

...brought it back to work and now can't get him to connect at work either...

I've checked his permissions on the domain incase it was a coincidence and the issues were related to something else, but all fine. The error that comes up indicates that you can connect to the internet but something is stopping it.

Tried installing firefox incase it was something within IE, but it's more than that as firefox just comes back with access denied too

...I just thought I remembered Stoney mentioning something similar happen to him...

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd suggest that he uninstalls any software from the Sky CD. I'm not saying it is bad, but you don't *need* any extra software with the Sky package.

It sounds to me as if something else has got onto the machine - time to break out the malware detectors!

Also check how he has configured his firewall (if any).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks.

It turned out that it was in fact a coincidence. The software had changed the IE settings but the rest of it was down to a rule on our firewall that prevented the particular ip address the machine had been allocated access to certain sites at certain times :oops: (hence why he could access after I reset the proxy settings)

Have assigned his MAC address an specific ip and tightened up our DHCP and firewall settings. :oops:

6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

ps,

with regards to not being able to access from home - well, he should have asked permission to install the software on a work laptop in the first place! :dry :p will advise him to uninstall.

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on fixing it! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you Harry. My manager pointed me in the right direction! :biggrin