Ping Ken

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by GiddyG, Jun 15, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ken,

I am looking to see if I can do some voluntary unpaid teaching (night classes and so forth). I don't have a teaching cert or qulaification, but I'd like to teach basic skills type stuff. I've been onto the basic skills site, but that seems to be geared to people earning £25k a year, and paying mega bucks for teaching quals.

I have written IT guidance and run training courses internally in work, both for users and IT support staff.

I merely want to start giving something back to the local community. I see lots of people I help who have little or no IT skills, and who merely want to be able to know how to turn a machine on, surf the net, make sure they and their kids are safe from viruses and suchlike.

Any ideas?

Cheers

John

2. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

not meaning to butt in on your ping, but I have found work through this website http://www.it4communities.org.uk/it4c/home/index.jsp and I'm sure they'd be able to give you a few tips/work/experience in or around your area

I am the tech support for a local mental health charity and, ultimately, it is quite rewarding to be able to contribute to those less IT-literate than ourselves, as I'm sure we can all remember that time when we found things confusing. (I still do now to be honest, for example, this Cisco stuff I'm reading up on now is going take some time to wrap my head around it) :biggrin

3. GiddyG

Thanks Wassup.

Just opened the page. I'll have a look and see if they have anything local to me.

Cheers

Giddy

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey mate,

Wassup beat me to it, lol. On the same note, what area are you in? As "we" (Tresham) may be looking :)

You may also want to equire at your local colleges that provide IT Pro courses, I actually started by approaching Tresham (I already knew the bloke) to see about attending one of their courses (the CCNA) and seeing if there was a possibility of either having a discount or if there some other arrangement we could do.

It was so successful that I've been teaching there for about 2 1/2 years, and still haven't done the course, however I've done others :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. GiddyG

Thanks for getting back Ken.

I am about 3 miles from Lincoln. Bit too far from Northants.

The discount/arrangement idea sounds useful. I'll give that a 'look into'.

Cheers

John

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No worries mate :) If you do go for being a part-time lecturer, you may want to look into joining the IfL. Tresham (as well as some other colleges) from September requires all teachers/lecturers to be a member of it. I've joined and was awarded/given Affiliate membership as I'm not a qualified teacher, and while I haven't seen any direct benefit so far, it allows me to continue teaching there as an unqualified lecturer :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. GiddyG

Excellent! Thanks Ken. Looking at it now. If I need more info, I'll let you know.

I signed up for the it4communities last night. Nearest place needing help to me is in Leicester... :blink

Cheers

John