Ping issue difference laptop to pc

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rax, Sep 23, 2007.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey guys, I'm really confused right now and don't know what to do..

I noticed my ping time got really bad the other night on one of my regular gaming spots. I usually have ~35-40ms on this server but it was going up to 60 odd. I rebooted the modem and restarted my pc just to make sure I wasn't running any hidden apps etc, when I got back on my ping time had hit 90 and over. By 11pm it settled and was normal again and as the problem in trace was at Tiscali.net for 4 hops I figured it had been an error their side. This was last night.

Today when I went to play on the same server my ping time is 100-200ms! It's been bad all day but fine to other servers.

After several hours of no joy with this bad ping time, I set to work on some printing receipts etc from my laptop. To connect this I need to restart the cable modem in order to obtain and IP (I don't understand why but?). After I had finished printing, I thought I'd check the traces and pings to the server and to my amazement they were perfect, 35-37ms. I tried changing back to my pc but it's still 100ms but because I had to reboot modem I thought maybe I had been connected onto a bad pipe again or something and so I tried connecting a few more times but no change.

I tried the laptop on several reconnects and every one has been perfect........

This brings me to the conclusion that something isn't right with my pc settings, any ideas?? :rolleyes::cry::blink

p.s.

I connect to the internet by cable modem via ethernet.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

DaveMid,

What is the speed of the ethernet on your cable modem?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA