Ping ffreeloader

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Dec 18, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How's the studying for the LPIC 1 progressing?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It isn't. I have so much to do/learn at work that I just don't have the time or inclination to do more studying right now. The way it is I'm studying at least 8 hours a day on the stuff I'm having to learn for work.

Zope and Plone are really cool technologies, but I'm finding there is very little real documentation out there for system admins. Right now I'm setting up authentication to bypass the Zope database and use a MySQL database so we can use a single sign on for our prospective Plone site and our web application. It's turning out much easier said than done as I can easily set up a MySQL database and get Plone to authenticate to it, but getting it to accept the user's role--from which permissions for security purposes are derived--from the MySQL database is turning out to be something else altogether.

All I ever find are bits and pieces of documentation about this, and much of what's out there is outdated. It's figure out how things are done in Zope and Plone as I go, and that's a difficult way to do things. It's fun, but difficult and time consuming.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Take notes. When the time is right, you could create that documentation. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Oh, I will be. One of the purposes for our Zope/Plone site is to create a private, online place for documentation for all of our technology. At the moment we have very little, but that's going to change as soon as we have enough figured out to go ahead with. Right now we're still figuring out how best to use this, and how to integrate it with our existing technology. Some of it is really old. Our main application server is an old RS 6000 from the very early 90's, so there is a lot of things to work around and through when trying to integrate that, so we don't lose the core of our business, with the cutting edge technology.

It's quite a challenge as it can't all be done at once. We have to things incrementally as far as updating our technology.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1