PING Fergal

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

How's the learning Mandarin going?

Been speaking to a chap at work about learning it - he's learning Cantonese (he's half Chinese and that's what his family speals) - and I thought about Japanese. He said to definitely take a look at Mandarin... so I thought about you :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its not going too badly really. We broke for summer, so only just started again last week with a new teacher (my old teacher moved to london).

Its quite interesting really, im enjoying it. I think its slow progress, but thats also partly due to the amount of work I do outside the class. Very interesting though.

I would recommend doing it if you find it of interest. I'd like to learn russian too once I have sufficiently mastered mandarin. If you can speak chinese, russian and english, I feel that (in terms of pure numbers) you can speak to a good majority of the people in the world.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've spent snippets of the morning listening to Mandarin basics on YouTube.

A quick conversation with my mate about Cantonese, and I definitely couldn't learn it - some of the words sound ridiculous!! lol.

For example, 'good afternoon' sounds like the noise I make when I wake up in the mornings... Ng5 ngon1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyeL11HCBZc)

What do you think of (have you ever been to) this site?

www.askbenny.cn

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

its not really that difficult to say things. The important thing is that its tonal, so how you say it is sometimes just as important as what.

I'm sure you would be fine with it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I recently discovered that I *can* remember my Mandarin, if required to in a crucial situation. :biggrin

Oh, hey, I'm back... as if you haven't figured that out already :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!